June 12, 2010

Spoken Hindi: ka, ki, or ke?

So Sue has this Blogathon going called Red Marker Blogathon.

If some word/phrase/idiom/spelling/syntax/punctuation incorrectly used drives you up the wall, blog about it.

The only rule is that you must explain what is wrong with the usage that it bothers you so and you must also explain the proper usage. 

rmb Unlike most of the entries in the marathon, I am writing about my peeves in spoken Hindi: some very common mistakes made by non-native-Hindi speakers while speaking Hindi. I wouldn’t say that all of them drives me up to a wall but I have this uncontrollable need to correct whenever someone get these wrong.

So what are my peeves, you ask? The use of postpositions ka, ki and ke (in Hindi, we have postpositions instead of prepositions as  they are placed after the noun or pronoun: just FYI). You see, most non-native-Hindi speaker often get confused whether it’s, for example, tale ka chabhi or tale ki chabhi (key of lock); uska patni or uski patni (his wife), etc? So how do you decide?

The rule of thumb in this case is very simple:
Gender of the postpositions ka, ki, or ke is same as the gender of the noun after the postpositions ka, ki, or ke.
So in case of chabhi and tala, the noun after the postposition, chabhi,  is feminine so it is tale ki chabhi. Similarly, in the second case, since patni is a female, the right form here is uski patni.

Now coming to a very good example, my special peeve:
- aloo ka paratha ( paratha of potato),  aloo ke parathae
- aloo ki roti,  aloo ki rotiyan.
First thing first. Yes, there is a ‘ka’ in the middle of aloo and paratha. Calling it ‘aloo paratha’ is wrong Hindi. And this one gets me to grind my teeth and close my fist while trying hard not to hit any thing. (Deep breath, count backwards. Okay. Where were we? Right..) Please don’t use the term, 'aloo partha'. It takes a micro second more to add a ka, ki or ke in middle.

Moving to the second point. Did you notice how ka becomes ke when we have multiple parthae (mmm, yummy), but ki remains ki even if the quantity of roti changes? Yep, you got it. The plural form of ki is also ki, and not ke (another fairly common mistake).
Similarly, we say gobhi ke pakode and diwali ki mithaiyan.

Hmm, I don't know about you but all this talk about parathe, pakode, and mithaiyan have made me hungry. I am heading to the kitchen for a mid-evening snack while you digest this information.

P.S.: 1. I refrained from using Devnagari script here as I was not sure how many people can read Hindi. Hope that's okay.
2. Just to be clear: ka is का;    ki is की;  ke is के|
3. Another post on the subject matter by yours truly is here.

20 comments:

  1. www.chinkurli.wordpress.comJune 12, 2010 at 7:41 PM

    Oh man. This is very very confusing for me. I'm not a Hindi-speaker, and studied some in school and college...the genders still confuse me - I can never decide which seems to be masculine and which feminine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, that's a million dollar question. General rule of thumb is that if it ends in 'aa' it is masculine and if it ends in 'ee' it is feminine. There are a lot of exception to this rule and it can easily become confusing for the words ending in consonant. Guess, it is something you learn with practice. :)

    Still Hindi is easier than English that has more exceptions than rules...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get confused about what the gender is...so that's where I go wrong. But whatever gender I decide to give the subject, I carry on with that for the propositions :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chinkurli said it. I never remember which noun is which gender!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well it takes some practice like any language! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool! Guess thats the problem with most people..

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey battery belongs to which gender..?

    uska battery uthar do..
    r
    uski battery uthardo...
    ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @MiT: Battery is feminine so it will be uski battery. Most of the noun ending in "ee" are feminine like Battery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Richa: thnx.. i am always confused with hindi..
    now i'll remember that "ee"...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Richa,

    Great job! I was so confused about, ka, ke and ki. Now I AM CLEAR.
    Can you post an article on genders every now and then.
    I really do appreciate it!!!!!!

    Thank you!!
    SG

    ReplyDelete
  11. @SG: You are welcome! Glad you liked the post. But I didn't get what do you mean by article on genders? What exactly do you want to know?

    ReplyDelete
  12. @SG: You are welcome! Glad you liked the post. But I didn't get what do you mean by article on genders? What exactly do you want to know?

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Richa: thnx.. i am always confused with hindi..now i'll remember that "ee"...

    ReplyDelete
  14. can we say ghareeb bachom ko skool jaane "kii" avasar milega or "ka" avasar milega?plS helP mE!!..~~~?:?

    ReplyDelete
  15. It will be "ka". Again "Avsar" is masculine so it will be "ka"

    ReplyDelete
  16. how can we know that paratha is masculine and roti,feminine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Richa.... That was very helpful... Thanks a ton

    ReplyDelete
  18. "din aur raat ko paaker unki maathaji"  or
    din aur raat ko paaker unke maathaji"
    in these sentences which is the right one

    ReplyDelete
  19. Its' which' when a comma preceeds and 'that 'when there is no punctuation before...Hope it helps u! Thnx for the help in this hindi concept!!!

    ReplyDelete