June 27, 2010

Pride Day

Today is Gay Pride day in US. Are you still there? Well I have been asked in past to refrain from writing (read associating myself) about gay community so I am not sure how many  would read this post, given it’s out and out about gay community.

Anyway, assuming all these ridiculous advices are due to our ignorance about gay community so on the pride day, I decided to go through few misconceptions (at least the one I know):

 

The first point I want to make is that homosexuals are humans, like you and me. I don’t understand why an out and proud gay usually becomes only gay and nothing else. That’s how he or she is referred in conversations. Their career, their talents, their intelligence, everything is ignored and only one of their personality trait is highlighted. There, I said it. Its simply a personality trait, a personal matter, just like being an introvert or extrovert. You won’t refer a person as introvert at all times when you talk about him or her, then why emphasize so much about this personality trait?

(On a side note, I don’t like the word ‘Queer’ associated with homosexual or gay. The word’s usual meaning is abnormal or eccentric or odd. So to use it in homosexual context is saying that being homosexual is an abnormality, which it is not. Just my opinion.)

************************************************

Now coming to all those who refer homosexuality as being unnatural. Did you know that a lot of animal species exhibit homosexuality and the reason it has not been reported in scientific journals is due to social attitudes towards same-sex sexual behavior, innocent confusion, or even from a fear of "being ridiculed by their colleagues." ?  Only recently, scientist have started reporting the homosexual behavior in animals and you will be amazed by how many of animal species engage in such behavior (the list has reference to scientific papers as well). So what was it that you were saying about homosexuality being unnatural phenomenon?

(Another reason that we have ignored sexuality of animals is due to our own pride in believing that animal only have sex in order to reproduce, unlike humans that form emotional bonds. Homosexuality in animals prove that animals also, are drawn to each other for reasons apart from reproduction. So much for human superiority.)

************************************************

Next item on the list is the law. Quite a few friends of mine think that when Delhi High Court overturned IPC 377 in July 2009, it made same-sex marriage legal in India. Well folks, that is sadly not true. IPC section 377 was about criminalizing homosexual activities and overturning that meant that gay couples will no longer be treated as criminals in India(We are now better than Iran, congratulations!). But gay marriage still have no legal standing in India. How does that matter you ask?

It matters because in case of death of one of the partner, the other don’t have any legal standing on the dead body of the deceased, or the funeral procedures, or over the home they build together (in case it was in name of deceased partner). Imagine being thrown out of the funeral of your spouse of 20 years. How would you like it?

(Seriously, after all the obsession Indians have with marriage and premarital sex, they are not bothered about getting gays married and avoid their premarital sex?)

************************************************

Homosexuality does not spread AIDS or HIV (yes, there is a difference between the two). Unsafe sex does. If we remove the social stigma associated with sex and talk to our children, and people, about unsafe sex practices, we will reduce the spread of this virus. The reason homosexuals have a higher percentage of HIV and AIDS is due to added social stigma associated with them, which makes it impossible for them to talk to any one about safe sex practices associated with homosexuality. There are, at least, few resources for safe sex practices for heterosexual couples, does anyone have heard about safe sex practices for homosexual couples? There in lies the problem, my dear friend. Its our social prejudice that make them vulnerable to this deadly disease and then we prosecute them for having it. How is that fair, exactly?

************************************************

Lastly, I want to point out that all the homosexuals that are out, are one of the bravest people you would have fortune of meeting. EVER. Just ask this question to yourself: would you stand up against all the social norms and face persecution from society, your own family, in order to be honest with yourself? The decision to not live a lie is a big one and I, for one, admire their courage, their honesty, their conviction and above all, their integrity.

Happy Pride day everyone.

imageThis is rainbow flag flying atop on Seattle Space Needle. (Image is linked to its source)

P.S.: For those of you who don’t know the significance of rainbow flag: it represents diversity and inclusiveness, just like a rainbow. It can be, and has been used to represent cultural diversity, peace etc. It is also used to represent LGBT community.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post, Richa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just spoke my mind, Broom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't leave comment unless as a reply to a comment - there is this ad in the comment box,
    //Diploma Offered Jointly by IFDT & FMDS. Know More ! ??//

    And great post. I agree it takes courage. Glad we have decriminalised it - now I hope we remove other leagal discrimination also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg...can't believe you associate yourself with homosexuality!!

    Ok...so that was my sarcasm. Hope it came through the typing.

    The ignorance around homosexuality is what makes people think it's something wrong. As you rightly said, homosexuals are humans...like every one of us! You would hope that education helps people understand that there is no difference. Oh well.

    Happy Pride Day! I didn't know about that so I learnt something new today... =)

    And please do not refrain from writing about such topics...even if you do lose some narrow minded readers! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for letting me know IHM. I am in process of designing the new site and I think i will forgo the disqus altogether though I hope I don't loose my comments in the process.. will see.

    I also hope so! And sooner that gets done, better it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehehe..I got it the moment I read it, I guess I know you too well to take that line any other way. :)

    Don't worry, I won't ever refrain from writing about it. Its about being honest and that's one thing I do believe in..

    It's kinda American concept, I guess but its catching on. In US, in almost all the big cities they have pride parades. They had one in Chennai on the same day but rest of India will have it on different days. I think it will be great if all the cities in India organize it on one day, may be first week of July (to commemorate the historical high court decision last year)..Just thinking aloud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Rashmi! And welcome to the blog..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Personally, I think it's a great first step for the Delhi HC to decriminalize homosexuality. No matter how fast we'd like things to move, ultimately it's not easy to change people's attitudes and to change the attitude of a nation takes time.

    Of course, the correct laws serve to accelerate social changes - just like this ruling will. For example, the proposed special law against honor killing might finally get these idiot khaps to shut up and go extinct.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agreed Bhagwad. Just wanted to spread the words. Unfortunately there aren't many bloggers who take up the issue of homosexuality, what if, gasp someone thought they were homosexual themselves. But unless we start to talk about the issue, the attitude, the homophobia will never change.

    Laws will definitely help the cause but spreading the word will be far more effective, don't you think? At least, some of the mainstream bloggers should touch upon the subject from time to time. Just my opinion..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I couldn't agree more. I myself have been writing about this since July 2009 . Whether or not we ourselves are homosexual is irrelevant.

    Remember that saying - something like "First them came for xyz and I didn't care. Then they came for abc and I didn't care.....then they came for me and no one cared cause no one was left!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are great articles Bhagwad. Just went through them.

    Oh, you mean the poem by Martin Niemölle:

    "THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

    THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

    THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

    THEN THEY CAME for me
    and by that time no one was left to speak up."

    It is a great poem! :)

    ReplyDelete