June 30, 2010

Male Bloggers

So I recently discovered this gender analyzer (via Vector Gaming) that analyzes your blog/site and tell you whether it’s being written by a man or a woman. Lame, yes but still fun. It told me that my blog is written by a woman (Duh!). So next, I went in search for other blogs I read (about 114 odd blogs) to see how they fare on the scale. And that’s when I realize that most of the blogs I read are written by woman (in reality).

I subscribe to 23 male bloggers (4 of them are friends) out of 114  (I don’t know gender for 5 of them, I can guess but then it will be a guess). That’s 20%. And guess what? Out of those 23 male bloggers, only 2 were identified as male bloggers by the gender analyzer. I think its broken.

Anyway, the fact remains that I, for some unknown reason (it wasn’t intentional, I swear), prefer to read female bloggers more than male bloggers. Or, is it that there are more female bloggers out there than the male bloggers (do we have some kind of census/statistics about number and distribution of bloggers?)? Or, may be female bloggers tend to write more personal blogs while male bloggers stick to impersonal blogs as gadget reviews? Or, may be female bloggers are simply better writer than male bloggers and hence, get added to my subscription (its a thought)? Or, is it something about me? May be I am biased against the male bloggers. I might have developed, like Ideasmith says, an “unhealthy level of cynicism” over the years. May be, unconsciously,  I am rejecting the male bloggers for being, well, male.

So here is a request, if you know some awesome male bloggers please leave a link to their blogs in the comment space (but no gadget reviewers, please). I will, now, make a conscious effort to include the male bloggers in my subscription list.

Do tell about the distribution of male bloggers vs female bloggers in your subscription list.

17 comments:

  1. Now I dont remember where I read this - but there are more female bloggers than male ones. I will dig around a bit to substantiate this with a link - but dont sue me if I dont find it :D

    I haven't analysed my reader for percentage distribution but I am pretty sure there are more female bloggers there. Also, there are far more "excellent" female bloggers in my reading list; although majority my favorite (say top 5) bloggers are male.

    Suggestions for male bloggers (I dont know whether you follow any of them already):
    1) Neo_Indian (http://neoindian.org/) - amazing how he makes use of humor to put across a point - often the point is not funny; not even close to.
    2) Amit Varma's "India Uncut" (http://indiauncut.com/) - One of India's topmost bloggers. Writes about anything and everything.
    3) IndianPundit (http://republicofdream.blogspot.com/) - Writes about current affairs but way different from the normal. I dont know where he gets those videos from
    4) Arshat Chaudhary (http://thetimepassofindia.blogspot.com/)


    There are several other lesser known, and infrequent male bloggers that I know (but who are produce gems), but I'l list them out leisurely some other time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just did a quick analysis of my reader and I read about 7 male bloggers, and I really do think that the few non gadgety writers is the reason behind that number.

    Some good male bloggers:
    http://desigheeandcoffee.blogspot.com
    http://quintessentialhope.wordpress.com
    http://www.shantanughosh.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. oohh, A statistics about bloggers will be awesome! do try to find it out, I am looking forward to it..

    NeoIndian is already on my list and I do love his humorous touch.

    Amit Varma's blog used to be in my subscription list but I hate the fact that he doesn't allow the reader to comment which makes his blog a one way street, something I don't like. As you said he is one of India's topmost blogger and his claim to fame is mostly due to his blog and yet he prefers to remains unavailable to his readers. Does that mean that readers should always agree to his notions? what if I don't? Anyway, I unsubscribed from his blog a long time ago..

    I will check out IP (have heard abt him but haven't read him yet) and Arshat. Thanks for the links!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure about the male-female ratio about the readers of my blog page. But I am pretty certain that those who comment on my posts are mostly all women and just a handful of men.
    I stay away from gadget review blogs too, or movie reviews only blogs or such. A little personal touch and humor go a long way in making a page worth going back to. I suggest you read Neo's blog: http://neoindian.org/ This is one of the male bloggers I love reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to know that I am not alone..wait, how many total bloggers do you subscribe to?

    Thanks for the links, they do look great. I will definitely add them in my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting analysis. And that made me check my subscriptions too. I read 23 male bloggers and 65 female bloggers and 3 group bloggers.
    I like...
    http://ouchmytoe.com/
    http://www.gyanban.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quirky Indian and GreatBong are two more, apart from the ones given by Kiran and Athira

    ReplyDelete
  8. I blogged about the percentage of old, young, male and female bloggers. It seems 51.9% bloggers are female.
    And some bloggers who do have personal blogs are TBG, Neo Indian, KrishAshok, Bhagwad Jal Park, Kanagu, Vimmuuu, Kiran, Rakesh, Karate Kid, Masood, Hitchwriter, Haresh, Sunder...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me too! I love Neo-Indian as well. He is funny..

    I agree personal touch is a must on blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Shilpa! Jammy have been in my subscription list for a while now but I have not read gyanban so far. will give him a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Ritu! Will give them a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really? Guess I missed out that post..

    Thanks for list IHM, I will give them a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! that's 9.3%. so I am not alone in this.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It guessed my gender correctly - 58%. I seriously have no clue how they do that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cynicism is the power of accurate observation!

    ReplyDelete