June 17, 2010

American or Indian

Lately I have been told, more often than not, that I have become an American. This has nothing to do with my current visa status, or green card, or citizenship. No point arguing on those front. The reasons for which people have announced that I am no longer an Indian but have, in fact, transformed into an American never made sense to me. May be they will to you. So here they are:

1. My best friend in Stanford is an American and that too, gasp, an African American. Not that I don’t have Indian friends. I simply get along with her more than any Indian friends in Stanford.

2. My room-mate/flat-mate is also an American. In fact in US, I rarely had an Indian room-mate and to be frank, for the brief times that I had one (Indian room-mate), I didn’t get along with him or her, anyways.

3. I love peanut butter. I am actually in love with peanut butter. I will eat anything if it has peanut butter in it (Peanut-butter is to me what chocolate is to most people). I agree peanut butter is an American/western food (so is chocolate and yet I am the one who is American). In my defense, I have always been a big fan of peanuts. Even in India. So is it so surprising that when I found peanut butter, I fell in love with it?

4. I watch movies like Shrek, Alice in the wonderland, Avatar etc. which according to Indian populace are kids movies. If you argue otherwise, you are too Americanized.

5. I go for Karate (oh ok, I used to go for Karate) and absolutely love it. Indian girls aren’t supposed to like sports, you see. And then karate is, oh my God, a contact sport, and hence a complete no-no (was told so by an Indian guy who disapproved of me going for karate).

6. I go for a run.

7. I wear shorts when I go for a run (in summer, of course). Completely American, or so  I have been told.

8. I like Photography and usually travel alone to take photographs. Too American (I think they meant too independent).

Do these make things really make me American? Why?

10 comments:

  1. Going by these factors, you'll find more Americans in urban India than you will in America :).

    Other than the "having American roomies/friends" part - almost everything else is on exhibition in the big cities in India. American accents, units of measurement (I feel like punching the people who, even in Indian group discussions, mention distances in miles and fuel in gallons), food and drinks, clothes and clothing styles (stopping just short of bikinis), pop music - you name it.

    So yeah - you are as American (or as Indian - whatever way you choose to look at it ) as any of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you are an American... but you do have hope. Yes!
    Answers these -
    Do you have Indian Values?
    Do you respect your elders?
    Do you welcome uninvited guests?
    Do you belive that a good academic record excuses seven sins?
    Do you always want only the Indian team to win? (and do you love, eat, drink crickkit?)
    Heh heh and there is more about all this Neo Indian's blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I agree, 'Going by these factors, you'll find more Americans in urban India than you will in America :)'

    @ Richa - do you like to cook gajar ka halwa?

    ReplyDelete
  4. because Indians are stupid narrowminded and brainless?
    just a random guess...

    Disclaimer: I'm as Indian as they come, so no offence please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't put these on "exhibition" per se. I am just tired of getting these annoying comments for everything and anything I do. And moreover, I don't get why doing any of these activity makes me American or Indian? What does any of them have to do with either nationality?

    I have been in states for 6 years now and still don't get the English measuring system. I convert them to metric to understand what people are talking about. I am surprised to learn that someone in India will actually talk in this stupid system. It's actually one of the thing I don't like about US. Why on the Earth can't they change to metric system when rest of the world has, including England?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gajar ka Halwa? Hmm.. I did try it few times but the trouble is that we don't get those red carrots that we get in north India and hence, its never as good as home. So I gave up on it.

    Why?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let's see:

    Do you have Indian Values?
    Depends on what you mean by Indian values.

    Do you respect your elders?
    I don't respect people for their age or position. Don't get me wrong. I am polite to them and extend all the courtesies taught to me as a child but respect is something people have to earn on their own. Over the years, I have learned the difference between being polite and respectful, and respecting someone: something I wish we teach our children.

    Do you welcome uninvited guests?
    I have never had an uninvited guest at my place. Speculating over the possibility: I think it will depend on my relationship with the guest. My friends are always welcome, whether they come announced or unannounced. As for rest, most probably I won't be happy about them whether they come announced or unannounced. I will be just better prepared.

    Do you believe that a good academic record excuses seven sins?
    Hahahaha..this one I have used in my favor so I shouldn't comment. I have gotten away almost everything as a child and as a teenager due to my good academic records so I will shut my mouth on that one.

    Do you always want only the Indian team to win? (and do you love, eat, drink crickkit?)
    I am not a big fan of watching sports. Period. I would rather play/exercise instead of watching others play/exercise. I find the former more relaxing and calming. I honestly don't get the charm of watching others play and cheering them on..

    As for cricket, I have grown out of that one a long time ago. I don't care about it one way or the other.

    Does all these make me non-Indian?

    Loved Neo-Indian blog. Thanks for introducing me to that blog. It is now in my Google reader subscription!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hehehe...I will stick to manner-less instead of brainless. Other than that agreed!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol...based on your first two points, I am Australian since it's the same with me. I've never had an Indian flatmate. But then again, I have been told that I am way more Australian than Indian by other Indians...and I think that tends to just be the fact that we are more independent and don't want to just get married once we are finished with our studies...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know, still for some unknown reason it hurts. It feel like an accusation and I don't like it. Guess I have to just get over it...

    ReplyDelete