January 14, 2008

Happy Alone

Day before yesterday, I received a mail from a college friend, asking me whether I am still checking that mail id and to reply asap. This was her second or third mail in past 10 years or so. I was alarmed by the urgency of the tone so I replied back asap. Yesterday I got its reply. It consisted of three lines:

1. She delivered a boy 5-1/2 months ago.
2. She is sending me the snaps of her kids (a boy and a girl).
3. Last but not least: "When are you getting married?"

Honestly, three lines. Thats it. No question asked about how I am, how I have been doing, where I am, what I am doing. No information about how she is, where she is, what she is doing, is she happy or not. It reminded me of this post that a friend very kindly forwarded. Honestly, there is more to life than getting married and having kids. More importantly, there is a Life without getting married and having kids. If you don't want to live that life, no problem. At least let me...

2 comments:

  1. You have my sympathy !
    The world views you thru their ideas of right and wrong, wise and otherwise. You are a misfit or a loser if you defy them..possibly a weirdo too.. but heck, what do we care ??!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Viji! You are absolutely right...i don't care...

    ReplyDelete