January 16, 2010

I miss fog

I grew up in the foothills of Himalayas. One of the feature of winter in that part of India was fog. Every winter, there used to be at least a week when an envelope of dense fog wrapped our town. Being a winter child (mid-December on that one), I have always loved winters including fog, lantern-like sun and the chilled wind along with Gajar ka Halwa, garma-garm Mungfali, Aaloo ke Paranthe, Matar ke Parathe, Matar in every sabji, Gobhi ke Parathe and spinach in almost everything. Yes kids, believe it or not, once upon a time, we used to eat season-specific vegetables and fruits.

Ever since, I left my hometown 8 years ago, there have been very rare occasions of encountering fog, even though I now live in San Francisco Bay Area. The problem is that most of the fog remains in the city (San Francisco) and never crosses over to the Farm (Stanford). So today morning when I stepped outside to go to work (yes, on a Saturday), I was pleasantly surprised to see the fog though not too dense. Luckily, I had my digi-cam with me, so I went for a photo shoot around the campus, instead of working, I should add.

Anyhoo, here are the two  shots from today morning’s venture. It now feels like Makar Sankranti and Lohri! So Happy Sankranti, Happy Lohri and Happy Pongal to everyone. Or, to be more politically correct and concise: Happy Harvest Season, Everyone!

IMG_0002-5  

IMG_0035-1

P.S.: The strangest thing about today was that the number of runners and walkers out today was way more than a normal Saturday morning. The number of tourist, however, were far less. I expected the opposite when I went around as this is a long weekend. Monday is Martin Luther King day.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks Richa, and hope you had a Good harvest in your Farm (FB)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...lovely pics! Thanks for sharing! :) So you are a December child...I'm a winter baby too...but Bombay winters were like spring in Sydney! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Sunny_Raju: Thanks! :)

    @ PB: I know what you mean. Celebrated two of my B'days in Chennai with running fan and ice-cream. Bombay winters are a bit colder than Chennai but not by much..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Thanks for d wishes n wish u Happy Harvest festival too.....though we dont harvest real crops, but we can b content with our farmville harvesting.....
    Am an early winter child, but donno what winter means, being from ranipet (100kms frm chennai), never experienced winter. But did had fog during late december and january and used to enjoy them very much..
    I miss the seasonal fare too, being a chef working for five star hotels, totally forgot the seasonal availability of vegetables and fruits......such a shame!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures. Thanks for sharing them. I love the fog! Brings back memories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you like it Ramit and welcome to the blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Yeah! I remember spending my B'day's in Chennai with fan running. It never felt like my B'day there..

    Yeah I know. even I am losing touch to those roots. We almost get everything in all the season...

    ReplyDelete