January 11, 2008

Goofy me...

Let me start by stating that I am not at all a techie. To prove this statement to be true, here is today's incident.

Our group server has been giving trouble ever since the power shut down in the holidays. The person in charge for taking care of the server is currently busy with few personal things (they just had a baby...). The second person in charge is in India attending SPG meeting. The third person who could have taken care of the issue, defended his thesis on Wednesday so he has disappeared from the office (You can't expect him to work now, can you?). So poor guy (the first in charge, who just became a father) was trying to sort the issue even though he hadn't slept in two days. Hence, obviously, I offered to help. I arranged the appointment for the university technician to come by and have a look at the machine today morning.

Now moving on to today morning. The technician comes (a bit late, if I might add) and starts checking the machine. He turns and informs me that the power supply of the machine is faulty. And unless that is fixed we can't check whether the motherboard is working properly or not. I say, 'Oh! let me see if we have a spare one'. I go and get an extra power cord that was lying in our room for a while. At this point, the technician smiles, points to the small box in the top right corner, inside the CPU and says, "Not the power cord but the power supply is at the fault".

Can I shoot myself now? Please...

P.S.: 1. Not that I haven't read about the computer hardwares. I know what (and where) a power supply in CPU is! But if I had the presence of mind to remember it, you wouldn't have been laughing at me right now, would you?

2. Oh yes... Hence proved. I am not a techie. The first point is there due to the ego issues (my ego issues..I am not an idiot just goofy)!

2 comments:

  1. Uh, it could happen to anyone..do not worry. Anyways, you were not just goofy but gutsy too to have taken up the task :)
    Perhaps some good Jagit Singh ghazals and a bit of relaxation is all you need :o) !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks g3! You are being very kind...

    ReplyDelete