August 12, 2009

Social Nightmare

I just saw Verizon’s latest commercial (sorry couldn’t find it on the internet yet) in which they show this family of four: Mom, dad and teenage son and daughter. Mom and dad are abusing the social network Facebook and Twitter. Mom writes ‘I love you’ on daughter’s Facebook wall while the dad keeps twittering each and every detail of his daily life on Twitter.  

That reminded me of the time when I was debating the idea of inviting my mom to Orkut. I think that was just an year back. Orkut (or any social network for that matter) gives a nice platform where you can easily share photos with entire family (if you have your entire family on Orkut), write small messages and in general know about what’s going on in their lives without calling them everyday. But on the other hand they get to know how and what your friends are saying to  you. And after much deliberation of such kind I finally   invited my mom to Orkut. Plus my mom does love socializing (as opposed to my dad) and a few of her friends were already on Orkut. And obviously I didn’t want my mom to lag behind her friends just because of my personal   considerations. And honestly I haven’t regretted it, except may be once: My mom gave me a testimonial on Orkut! It’s actually a sweet testimonial but how many people do you know who “proudly”  show their parent’s testimonial (it’s more like the commercial: mom writing on daughter’s wall)? Seriously. But since I care more about my mom’s feelings than the random acquaintances, I did publish the testimonial. 

The point being: I completely understand the awkwardness of situation described in the commercial. Social networks as Orkut, Facebook are still ok but I simply can’t imagine any of my folks on Twitter! That’s where I draw the line. I think that will cross the border of embarrassing. It’s definitely way beyond awkward. Imagine my mom twittering (And I don’t want to go to the replies she might get for these lines…) :

“Am worried about my daughter. She hasn’t called in weeks!”  

“Daughter has upset stomach.”

“Looking for suitable matches for my daughter.” 

You get the picture. It’s a horrible idea! I am so glad my mom’s internet knowledge depends on me. I can rest easy though my technology-loving mom might be able to figure out on her own too. I must be always on my guard.

No comments:

Post a Comment