August 16, 2009

Not seeking an apology?

That’s what Shahrukh Khan said. He is not seeking apology from U.S. for being detained at the airport!

May be I am completely off here (it feels so looking at the Indian newspapers’ and bollywood celebrities’ reaction) but I don’t get what makes Shahrukh Khan so special? Does he shahrukh-khan04represent Indian Government in some way that I don’t know? As far as I know, he is neither in Indian embassy or holds any government position. Then isn’t his only claim for special treatment and in absence of one, for an apology is that he is a celebrity in India and US government for some reason don’t recognize that?

Let’s face it. Holding a passport from South Asia usually implies that you are more likely to be randomly checked than a citizen of other parts of the world. And being a Muslim from that part of the world almost ensures that. And also let’s put on the table the fact that Homeland security doesn’t comprise of the smartest of people. Why else would they get suspicious about a passport having only one name. Yes, humbly yours have passed through special security often due to that reason. Honestly, had I been someone with a fake passport, wouldn’t you think I will have common sense to carry a passport as clean as possible? But I digress.

The point being that US airport security is notorious for pulling out Muslim travelers and that’s what they did in case of Shahrukh Khan. I agree it’s wrong on part of US to discriminate like that but what I don’t get is why this is such a big deal that almost all the newspaper have it on their front page? How can Shahrukh Khan seek an apology from US government for this? By what right? Celebrity or not, he is as common a citizen as rest of us.

What really irate me is the joke about Angelina Jolie:

After his Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani moment was practically ruined, SRK has calmed down, even joking about wanting to frisk actress Angelina Jolie if she ever came to India.

That’s quiet distasteful. Frisking a woman when she comes to India? If he does want to reiterate then give a hard time to Brad Pitt when he comes down to India but frisking Angelina Jolie?  I can’t get the image of him doing that out of my mind and believe me, it’s a disgusting image (though somehow it abruptly changes into Angelina dangling him upside down by his ankle. Must be all those Tomb Raider movies effect). All this given that he is as famous as either of them or have a fan following as big and as diverse as theirs.

P.S.: 1. I don’t like Shahrukh Khan as evident from the post. I don’t like Angelina Jolie  either but as she was an innocent bystander here so it’s okay.

2. I don’t think that any celebrity should be given any special treatment, whether it’s Angelina JolieShahrukh Khan or Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie. However, in this news piece Shahrukh Khan compares himself with Angelina Jolie which, I think, isn’t a fair comparison. She is far well  known and far more admired than him. I mean just look at her.

3. I also don’t think that it’s fair to be searched and detained because of your religion or your native country but again the post isn’t about that either. It is about the special treatment expected by Shahrukh Khan for no reason other than that he is a celebrity. Go back to point 2.

6 comments:

  1. Agreed in totem !

    We have habit of pampering and glorifying our Heroes for so long they begin to feel super human somehow. However what most of them including us never realise is with fame comes the power to influence which only a few are lucky enough to be bestowed with and therefore have a responsibility to use it for good..now isn't that an example of wishful thinking in a world where use is not as commonplace as abuse ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree, there was no hue and cry when it happnd with Sir Kalam. why so fuss when it is SRK. or is this publicity for his movie My name is khan

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ G3: Agreed. Sensibility is one attribute that I have stopped expecting from celebrities. They might be charitable though..

    @ Sunny_raju: It might as well be. Though I expected a formal apology from airport staff when it happened to Abdul Kalam. After all he was our president and hence does represent India.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed on all counts! I read somewhere that Priyanka Chopra tweeted about this and said that Shahrukh was so well known that the people that detained him should get a life!!!! I mean seriously, who the hell is he apart from some Bollywood actor. In India, all the celebrities have a feeling of entitlement (probably has to do with the public admiration) but it's to the point of being ridiculous when they expect other countries to follow suit. So what if you are a cricketer or an actor? Where was all this hue and cry when a common Muslim person gets detained (which I'm sure happens a lot)?? And I only just found out the Angelina Jolie thing and agree that it's totally distasteful (Like you, I'm not a fan of hers or Shahrukh's)

    Oh...and how about the politician that suggested doing a tit for tat to the Americans visiting India?? :S

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ PB: I guess Priyanka Chopra needs to get a life to discover that not everything in the world doesn't revolve around Bollywood celebrities. And so does our media, our politician and our public.

    And don't even get me started with all these bollywood celebrities going in to politics. Being a celebrity makes them even worse as they have no connection what so ever with day to day life of common people. And still they win the election. It's just beyond me!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ PB: I guess Priyanka Chopra needs to get a life to discover that not everything in the world doesn't revolve around Bollywood celebrities. And so does our media, our politician and our public.

    And don't even get me started with all these bollywood celebrities going in to politics. Being a celebrity makes them even worse as they have no connection what so ever with day to day life of common people. And still they win the election. It's just beyond me!!

    ReplyDelete