December 1, 2007

Big Game

Today is big game at Stanford, Stanford Cardinals versus California Bears. Its American Football. Everything is going crazy around the campus. The big banners of "Beat Cal" can be seen everywhere. The fountains are modified so that color of the water is red (its pink actually, but I am not going to argue). Yesterday a friend told me that Hoover has turned red and I actually imagined this magnificent tower has actually been painted red, top to bottom. Thankfully that wasn't the case. They just turned the color of fountain water in front of it to red (pink, no I am still not arguing). But the amount of excitement in the air made me believe that they can actually do that too. I haven't seen so many people walking/biking around campus on a Saturday. Usually the tourists with cameras of different shapes and sizes are found here on weekends/holidays.

All this excitement makes me wonder, why do people get excited for watching a game? They don't get to play it. They are sidelined behind the fences and made to watch other people enjoying/playing. Most of the spectators don't even play the game in the real life. Its more like, "Hey, I love cricket but I don't play it. I like to watch other people playing it." It doesn't make sense to me but then I am a confirmed weirdo.

Once someone argued back by making comparison between arts and sports. Not all the spectators can make masterpieces but they like to see and appreciate the masterpieces. May be she is right. But somehow I enjoy playing more than watching (though choice of sports is important too, American Football is better with other people playing it)...but then again I am a confirmed weirdo who gets stuck with images of red tower and pink water. Not arguing...

P.S.: I am too busy to take pictures at the moment. I have taken a few shots though. I didn't get time to download them into the computer. Will post them whenever I have time...

Update: Surprisingly, We Actually Won.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Richa, I wanted to invite you to add your blog to the Stanford Blog Directory. The university would like to raise the visibility of various voices from the Stanford community -- faculty, students, staff, and alumni, and I'd love to include your blog in the directory. If you're interested, just click on "Submit blog" from the directory homepage. Cheers, Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is something unexplainable...but
    it gives different feeling...i dont have word to explain it
    well....American football...its best sport in US...i support Ohio State buckeyes.....man..its been craziet season ever...stanford beat USC (it was biggest upset of the yr)....and my team is in for national championship Jan7th....so Go Buckeyes.......:)

    P.S. plz do support Ohio state on Jan 7th 2008.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ian: Thanks Ian for the information.

    @kp: wow.. seems like you would have loved to be here this saturday.I am sorry, I don't understand the sport so don't follow it. All the best to your team except if its playing against Stanford. Though as far as I understand Stanford team is very lousy as far as American Football is concerned. But they have olympic champions in some other sports as swimming etc...

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha...stanford won...thats good...but trust me they did their job when they went to USC and knocked the #1 team in the land...it made OSU job easier...in college football the way it works is "One teams lose is another teams gain"....lol

    ReplyDelete