December 21, 2009

I object...

...to the repeated use of term "Geologist" in this video.



(Video link from: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/12/15943/)

This is the biggest Geophysicist convention on the planet Earth and it's called American Geophysical Union Fall meeting. Okay, for the argument sake, I agree that we all fall under school of Earth Sciences and we are like cousins. However, you don't see people in AAPG conventions (American Association of Petroleum geologist) declaring themselves as Geophysicist then why do these Geologist have to steal our thunder?

P.S.: Yes I know. I missed NaBloPoMo. I fell sick the moment I hit SFO (San Francisco airport) and haven't had strength to post anything. I didn't browse the net for first two days. I simply slept. I am better now and feel terrible about missing NaBloPoMo. Had I foreseen my illness, I would have scheduled a few posts before hand but... Oh well, I tried. 

3 comments:

  1. I can so see your point of view!!! We have similar problems here...'psychologist' is not the same as a 'counsellor' or a 'psychotherapist'. And yet some people will refer to psychologists as counsellor and think we are elite when we correct them. I didn't do all that study for nothing y'know. :p

    Too bad about falling sick! Hope you are better now. I thought your laptop stopped working or something. Take care of your health...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...and how could I forget --- they have beer at Geophysicist conventions?!! Wow! Wish psychs did that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ PB: Tell me about it! I have had it with being referred as Geologist. I mean if there is no distinction between the two then why don't they ever refer Geologist as Geophysicists? I studied a lot more Maths and Physics than a Geologist ever did!

    Yes, we do get free beers and coffees (or at minimal price) in our conventions. Friday Beer is also a weekly ritual in almost all the Earth Sciences schools I know. I guess it's because of it being a male-dominant field but as you heard, everyone have a different explanation for the phenomenon..

    ReplyDelete