December 5, 2009

Twilight: the book

By Stephenie Meyer.

twilight_book_coverGirl meets boy. Boy turns out to be a vampire (although “vegetarian” type: he only feeds on predatory animals’ blood). Girl, being a teenager, still believes that she is in love with him. Enters another vampire and a thriller drama follows. And obviously, the hero vampire manages to save the girl. Predictable? Yes. Cheesy romance book? Yes. However, Stephenie Meyer is pretty funny. I usually smile at jokes in the books but she made me laugh out loud. Actually few times, I had to keep the book down and laugh for few min. May be it’s because lack of friends around me at the moment that I found it extra funny. But either way I enjoyed the first book of the Twilight Saga called Twilight.

Here are few of the excerpts from the book that made me laugh:

- Of course he wasn't interested in me, I thought angrily, my eyes stinging — a delayed reaction to the onions. I wasn't interesting. And he was. Interesting… and brilliant… and mysterious… and perfect… and beautiful… and possibly able to lift full-sized vans with one hand. (Bella, the girl in love talking about Edward, the hero vampire. This was the initial phase of their affair when Edward was ignoring him.)

- From the cheerful topic of my impending demise, we were suddenly declaring ourselves. (Edward and Bella on their first date).

- "And you're worried, not because you're headed to meet a houseful of vampires, but because you think those vampires won't approve of you, correct?" (Edward to Bella, when he was taking her back to her family for the first time).

- "Afraid of a needle," he muttered to himself under his breath, shaking his head. "Oh, a sadistic vampire, intent on torturing her to death, sure, no problem, she runs off to meet him. An IV, on the other hand…" (Edward to Bella after the whole thriller drama).

- I rolled my eyes. I was pleased to discover that this reaction, at least, was pain-free. (She was in hospital with broken leg, broken ribs and a lot of other injuries after the whole thriller drama).

I am currently reading the second book of the Twilight Saga: New Moon. Will be back with funny quotes from that one as well. I have been actually crying (with real tears) so far while reading the book so don’t know whether I will find any funny quotes.

P.S.: The Twilight Saga so far seems very teenagerial stuff (I mean, adolescent). I liked Harry Potter series better than this. Lord of the Rings is the best in comparison though very very dark. I also liked His Dark Materials more than Twilight Saga. At least as much as I have read so far…

No comments:

Post a Comment