July 22, 2007

Death is easy, Life isn't

I finally finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (I will try not to put any spoilers here but you can't be to careful. So be warned). It is the darkest book in the series, though I didn't cry. Well actually, I never cried any of the Harry Potter books. Its actually a lot of plot lines coming together and finally making into one story. J. K. Rowling is, no doubt, an excellent story teller. It just kept me on edge of the seat the whole 759 pages (American version). Well actually not so much in the last pages but yeah more or less. I wouldn't claim it to be my favorite Harry Potter book as yet but I think it will be once, I have re-read it. Oh yes, I do need to go through it again immediately though not right now as I need to sleep now.

I slept for approximately 5 hours on Friday night (the night of release) and 2 hours last night (while reading the book). I went to see the Potter Parties, though I didn't get the book that night. I had it pre-ordered at the Stanford Bookstore that was due to open early next morning. Honestly comparing the two parties, I think it would have been better that the book was released in th morning instead of midnight. All the kids who came dressed up fell asleep till 11 PM and quite a lot kids couldn't even make it there as their parents didn't allow them to be up so late. And even if they did, it was so hard for them to read the book in the night. The morning celebrations were more sensible. Here are few snaps from the two celebration. Oh by the way, my favorite costume was a baby dressed up as Mandrake root with the plant coming out of his head. When I saw him, he was fast asleep and I didn't want to flash the poor guy so I didn't take any pictures of him. My second favorite was Lucius Malfoy with Dobby. The snap didn't come out well but you still get the idea.

This was outside the bookstore I went o, Kepler's Books and Magazine. There were magicians, bands, jugglers etc. to entertain.


I was talking about this. Don't they look pretty real? Lucius and Dobby..


Getting inside the bookstore. These kids are just waiting for midnight. They are not reading Harry Potter. I checked.

Well there was a reading from the book too (Order of Phoenix). I liked the decoration. Everything was Harry Potter themed. The cashier counters were named Gringots Bank. This was Gryffoinder Girls Dormitory (check the sign above the door). I have never seen so many kids sitting so still except in a class, may be.


These are morning breakfast party. Well I am not posting the picture of crowd, instead the readers and their apt concentration in the book. I especially loved this kid. He was in this pose for as long as I was there (approximately 45 minutes). The things was, as you can notice, he was reading the ending of the book instead of starting. ( It was a bit crowded in there so thats the best shot I could get).


And these are kids outside the bookstore. They couldn't even wait to reach home to start the book. they started it the moment they got it in their hands. I feel so much better. I actually went to Karate class after taking the book. I started it around 2 in the afternoon after making sure I have enough snack/junk food and I have eaten at least a good lunch, no junkies. I haven't eaten a proper meal since (though a lot of junk in between) and slept for only two hours. Thats my last 24 hours.


Anyway, before write it off, a few quotes from the book. I tried that they don't give the plot. In few quotes I have deliberately kept the speakers name.

“ I think Voldemort is looking for him.”
“Poor bloke,” said Ron fervently.

“No,” agreed Ron. “A brutal triple murder by the bridegroom’s mother might put a bit of a damper on the wedding.”

“IF WE DIE FOR THEM, I’LL KILL YOU HARRY!” roared Ron’s voice.

“It is a curious thing, Harry, but perhaps those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it. Those who, like you, have leadership thrust upon them, and take up the mantle because they must, and find to their own surprise that they wear it well.”

2 comments:

  1. Nice site but its in Spanish. Unfortunately I don't understand the language...

    ReplyDelete