May 2, 2008

Project SnapShot: Day Uno

So as I mentioned earlier, I have a new cell phone! No correction, I have a new cell phone with a lot of cool features, including a 2MP camera. And since, unlike in past, I have been carrying my cell phone ALL THE TIME, I thought it will be cool to start this new photography project.

The idea isn't mine. A lot of photographer have done something similar, including a friend of mine who had been taking a picture of whatever he doing at 7 PM every evening using his phone-camera. I am planning to do the same every evening, but the time I choose is 5:02 PM (oh well, that was the time I took today's picture so ':02' stays) but unlike him, I am planning to post my picture here. I am not promise that I will post a picture everyday but I will certainly try. I have to travel a bit this year and I am not sure how much access to internet I will have then (and yes I am aware of mobile blogging feature of Blogger.com).

Anyways, so here is today's picture taken at 5:02 PM. I was starting my run around Lake Lagunita when I took this picture and thought about working on this project. It was a bit murky and hence the picture came out as if taken with Sepia effect.


Date: May 2nd, 2008
Location: Lake Lagunita, Stanford, CA
Titled: The Arch

Why am I dong this (Among other side effects of being a Ph.d. student, I feel obligated to define a purpose, a methodology and some anticipated results for any activity.)? Well just a snap shot of my daily life and the way it varies from day to day at a specific time of day. I choose the evening time so that I don't end up taking pictures of my office computer or my kitchen, day after day. Hopefully I will be somewhere different once in a while during that time.

I have always said that camera is just a tool to take picture. Owning a better camera doesn't necessarily makes you a better photographer. But as they say it, its easier to preach than to practice. So I am putting myself on trial here. Lets see if I can prove this point. Taking picture with my 2MP camera phone everyday, at whatever place I am and then: BE CREATIVE! Hmmm... That will be challenging. I am restricting myself in more than one way. It will be interesting.

Anyway, you will see the results and judge for yourself.

P.S.: One of the glitch in this project is downloading the photo everyday. I can be a bit lazy about that. Please bear with me if I slack a bit. :) . I will ultimately download and post them.

3 comments: