June 20, 2011

My Life in Films Meme

Well, I am breaking the dry spell of the blog using, what else, a meme. So if you want to know some more useless facts about me, dive in:

Films That Remind Me of Childhood

Do aur Do Paanch: My earliest memory of a TV is of the Sunday evening movies. One of the first movies that I remember on the TV is Do aur Do Paanch. The movie was my first introduction to the superstar Amitabh Bachchan. I don’t think I understood the movie or even watched it completely (I was about 3 or 4) but I remember everyone around me laughing a lot which mesmerized me. As I grew older that impression of Amitabh and the movie remained with me. I have watched that movie quite a few times ever since and still think its hilarious.

Mr. Natwarlal: Yeah, I know another Amitabh Bachchan’s movie. What can I say, I grew up in 1980s. This movie was my first introduction to Rekha. I vividly remember the song Pardesia. I think I used to be very happy whenever they played that song on the radio (yes, we had a radio at our place when I was young that we used to listen to). I think seeing Rekha on the screen before I understood the social discrimination against dark skin in India was a very positive thing for me. I guess clanged on to that one every time someone pointed out to my skin color.

Qurbani: Talking about songs and radio, one of the first song I remember from my childhood is “Aap jaisa koi meri Zindagi”. Actually its one of the first song I memorized and used to sing as a kid (about 3 year old). My parents and acquaintance used to think it to be so cute. Honestly!

Masoom: I was about 6 or 7 years old when Masoom was released and with it came the song “Lakdi ki kathi”. I watched the movie because of that song. I didn’t understand it a bit except that my mom cried and my dad tear up. I decided to stay away from any Naseeruddin Shah’s movie after that (that didn’t work out though, thankfully).

Childhood Films Where Removal was Necessary

Oh well, I grew up in India in 1980s. I actually watched almost all the movies, except the late night movies. That has more to do my inability to be up so late then anything. But there were a few movies that scared/affected me.

Sholay: The scene when they cut off Thakur’s (Sanjeev Kumar) arms haunted me in nights for a long long time. It was a shock for me. And then Jai (Amitabh Bachchan) dies in the end leaving Radha (Jaya Bhaduri) all alone again. It was a sad, scary movie.

Deewar: Yes, yet again an Amitabh Bachchan’s movie. I watched this movie for the first time as a kid. I couldn’t watch the ending of the movie. The thought that Amitabh will die in the end was unbearable for me. I have watched this movie 5 times ever since but have never been able to watch its ending so far.

 

Films that Defined My Teens

My teens were the time when the three Khans (Aamir, Salman, and Shahrukh) started their successful journey in Bollywood.

Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak: My journey to my teen years started with this movie. I was about 12 when this was released. My best friend at the time, Srilipta, was a great fan of Aamir Khan. She was the one who actually introduced to him and the movie. It was about a year later that I got a chance  of watching the movie. (Did I mention that I grew up in a small town which meant we get to watch a movie about 4-6 months after it was released). Unfortunately, the movie didn’t have the same effect on me as my other friends. I didn’t like Aamir Khan much. Actually I didn’t like him during  most of my teen years. Do you remember the movies he did during his early years? The first movie of his that I actually liked was in movie Baazi that came towards the later years of my teens.

Maine Pyar Kiya: Believe it or not, I was a fan of Salman in my teens. He used to be a good looking guy back then. Maine Pyar Kiya was the first movie of him that I saw and liked him. I was never a die-hard fan of him though. I just preferred him over the other two Khans.

Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge: This is my all time favorite movie even though I have never liked Shahrukh Khan as an actor. This is the only movie I can tolerate him in. Actually I liked him in this movie. The movie was released during my late teens. I have watched this movie so many times that I have lost count.

Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro: There is one more movie that reminds me of my teen years, Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro. I watched this movie at a friend’s place on VCR (we didn’t have a VCR player at our place). I don’t remember laughing so much in my life. Over the years, it remains the funniest movie I have ever watched. The Mahabharat scene is one of my favorite scene. I laugh every time I watch that scene.

 

Films Seen Multiple Times at Theatres

That would be Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge. As I said, I have lost count the number of times I have seen this movie. I can’t even tell you how many times I watched this one in theater but its more than two.

First Date Film

I never had a date that involved a movie. I have watched musical on a date (and my date actually slept during one such musical but that’s another story) but never a movie so I don’t have a first date film. (BTW, if you are looking for a nice musical for a date, try the Sound of Music).

Nightmares from Films

That will be Sholay. I think that was first movie that exposed me with so much blood. Gabbar Singh did strike fear in me.

Films that are Guilty Pleasures

That will be Disney movies. Actually, scratch that, I think its all the kid’s movies. That includes Shrek, The Princess’s Diaries, Ice Age, Monster Inc., Princess and the Frog etc. etc. etc., you get my gist.

   

 

Last Film I Saw at the Theatre

The last movie I saw in the theater was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, the day after it was released. This was the first movie I saw in Houston. Actually, it’s the only movie I have seen in Houston. Now you also know the next movie I will be watching in theater.

 

That’s all from me tonight. Hope you liked it!

P.S.: All the images are linked to their source.

3 comments:

  1. Guess we have almost the same memories, but may be a decade displaced? My teen movies must be your childhood movies. :)

    For some reason, I was never able to connect to QSQT. May be it was just the hype around the movie that made me loose interest in it but the movie never felt real to me. So never felt sad about them dying as well. 

    Am looking forward to the last HP movie. Though I think its unfair that my friends in London will watch it a week before me! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. do aur do paanch i had seen after bunking school hostel.
    great pictorial narrative.
    i pity your date too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Pramod! Glad you liked it. 

    Do aur do panch was worth bunking school! 

    Pity me and not my date! The worst part of it was snoring that attracted attention from people around. I have never been so embarrassed in my life!

    ReplyDelete