June 25, 2011

10 Day Challenge: Nine Loves

Okay, the second day of 10 day challenge and it doesn’t get easier. So here goes the list of my nine loves:

1. PhotographyCamera_1
Well number one is no brainer. If you know me, you know I love photography. It has been a passion for a long time, even before I had a camera. As a teenager I used to quote photography as my hobby with added subtext: “I don’t have a camera yet.”


2. Exercising
Me_28_100No honestly. I go into depression if I can’t exercise. It can take any form though, swimming, biking, playing badminton, practicing martial arts or simply working out in a cardio class. I love the sweat after exercising and that feeling of being completely physically exhausted along with all the aches and pains of a physical activity.  Its so exhilarating.


iPhone_23-1
3. Studying
Again, I am not kidding. And I am not talking about reading books/novels (which, incidentally, I also like) but actual course books. Call me a geek or a nerd or whatever, I have always always loved studying. I have known to forget to eat or even to sleep (no seriously, that has happened to me) while studying.

4. Musicals
I am a big sucker for musicals, both in movies and on theater. From The Sound of Music to Chicago, I love them all. From Fiddler on the Roof to Rent, I adore them all.
  4fiddlerchicagoRent-The-MusicalSound_of_Music_DVD_rogers_hammerstein

peanut-butter-image5. Peanut Butter
Actually scratch that. I love peanuts. Period. The warm nice peanuts (with shells), with chutney or lemon-salt-chilli combo on a cold winter day. I love peanuts and anything associated.

The peanut butter (crunchy) means same to me what chocolate means to most of the people around the globe. I simply can’t resist it. The peanut butter is the reason I love Snickers and Cold Stone creamery Mud Pie (thanks Rachna for introducing me to the second one!). I can even tolerate chocolate if it has peanut butter in it.

6. Stanford
Dish30_100The beautiful beautiful campus of Stanford and plethora of activities it offers, for me Stanford is and will always remain the best, the most beautiful place to live in the entire world. It was the first place I ever felt home after leaving home. I spent six years of my life, and I must add few of the most challenging years of my life, in that place. It holds a special place in my heart.

7. Geophysics
I love being a Geophysicist. I love my subject. It’s a fascinating world. Did you know i_love_geophysics_tshirt-p235755163736365859q6iv_400Geophysics consists of multiple disciplines like volcanology (study of volcanoes), meteorology and climatology, seismology (study of earthquakes), oceanography (study of oceans), hydrology, glaciology (study of glaciers), Geomagnetism (study of magnetic field of the Earth), Planetary sciences (study of physical characteristics of other planets)? It’s a diversified field with a lot of different applications. It’s a humbling experience to attend the American Geophysical Union conference, the largest Geophysical conference in the world, and meet people working in completely different fields.

I guess it’s the same for all the fields but some how I find it very fascinating to see so many varied application of a single subject.

Me_3_2008. Napping
I love to sleep. I can sleep for days, only waking up to eat and drink and then go back to bed again. That would have been my summer holiday routine, had it not for my mom. She wanted the beds made up and rooms tidied up every day for some reason.


9. Family and Friends
Well last, but by no means, least, I, of course, love my family and friends. It’s a given, isn’t it? Still, to make the list complete, I am mentioning it…

That’s all for today folks. All the images are linked to their source, unless, of course, they are taken by me. Hope you liked the list!

2 comments:

  1. Which discipline in geophysics do you love the most?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that's an easy one! my current discipline, rock physics. It rocks! Its major application is in oil exploration so it lets me earn big bucks to. Though I think I will be equally happy in any other branch of Geophysics, a bit poorer but still happy. 

    ReplyDelete