October 13, 2009

Old Age

I went out for dinner last evening with a friend who will be celebrating a milestone   New-Year-Party-256 Birthday this Wednesday. Honoring the American tradition (she is an American), I took  her out for dinner last night as this week is career week so all the companies are inviting for free lunches and dinners.

Anyway, we were talking about different things and discussion came to age. As this is a milestone birthday for her, we started talking about things that change after these so  called “milestone” birthdays. She asked me about changes that I observed after crossing the milestone of 30.

I thought a bit and realized that only change I can think of is that I no longer remember my age. I fumble when someone ask me my age, not because I don’t want to tell them but because I don’t remember it! I usually mumble an age above 30 while trying to calculate my age.

Realizing this made me wonder- Is this the sign of old age: A failing memory? Or is it something common with 30+’s: Not caring for the number years they have lived?

2 comments:

  1. Ok, first and foremost...I never knew you were 30! Seen your pic on twitter and expected you to be in your early twenties but then thought you might be in your mid-twenties because you are doing a doctorate! And don't worry about failing memory...age is probably not that important to take up brain space compared to other stuff you have. I remember for some reason when I was 22, I would always say my age as 23 because I thought I was 23. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...Meri tvacha se to meri umra ka pata hi nahi chalta...Santoor Santooor.

    Hehehhe... seems you were in hurry to be 23. My problem is that I blabber any number above 30 (though they are still below 35, thankfully) when someone asks my age. May be my sub-conscious is suppressing a bad memory?

    ReplyDelete