December 9, 2010

Left vs. right?

So I was filling out the form to renew my passport. Answered all questions to best of my knowledge and, of course, I finally reached the end of the form where they ask to sign the declaration. You know where they ask you to swear the allegiance to India. At the end of all that declaration they ask you to sign or put your thumb expression. And right below that there was a statement in parentheses which is the reason for this post. It says:

Signature/ Thumb Impression of applicant

(Left Hand T.I. if male and right Hand T.I. if female)

Left hand for male and right hand for female? Why is that? I tried googling it and there are some very ridiculous explanation from “because those are the ones most used by each gender” (Really? Are they telling me that all the males are left handed and all the females right handed?) to “It is a government rule. Rules are rules. Can’t change it”.

Not a single proper reason why is that so. Does any one know? And how do they know if the thumb print is right hand’s or left hand’s?  I know its not a big deal and it doesn’t matter, I am just curious. 

P.S.: Yes I signed my allegiance to the sovereignty, unity and integrity of India. Hopefully they will reissue my passport soon enough.

4 comments:

  1. Atleast they did not want you to fill in caste/religion! I recentely opened a new banc account in SBI, and the last two questions on the form were Religion and Caste! Oh I was so angry and offended by that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol...never heard of that! No idea why they do it :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the weirdest thing I have heard... I seriously wonder why!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Rachna: Thats true. I forgot about them. When will we change?

    @ PB: Some day I will find out! I am still searching..

    @ Aathira: You and me both!

    ReplyDelete