August 29, 2010

Illogical Logics

“Her home was so messy.”
“But my home is even messier than hers.”
“Oh that’s alright, you are not married, na.”

How does cleanliness of someone’s house is a factor of gender, age, or marital status is beyond me.  To me its more about priorities and cleaning the house doesn’t make to top of that list for me. If it is same for a married woman who is juggling office, home and kids with what-so-ever no help from the husband, I sympathize with her. In that case, in all fairness, she has more right to have a messy house than me. Doesn't she?

**********************************************************************************

“So what did you have dinner today?”
“Um, toor daal, baigan ki sabji, roti, bonndi ka raita, salad and some achar.”
“You cooked all that just for yourself? I can never motivate myself to cook that much just for me.”

Honestly what are they trying to imply? Should I starve myself  to death because I am not married and have no one to cook for? Just because they need someone in their life to define their existence, it doesn’t mean everyone else should too.

**********************************************************************************

“You must finish your food. Do you know how many people in this world die of starvation. Think of them and finish your food.”


But how does overeating and eventually getting sick or gaining weight unnecessarily is going to help starving people? It’s not like that if I overeat, the surplus amount go to their stomach. I would happily give my food to any of them but why, oh why, should I torture myself? It doesn’t ease anyone’s pain, instead just give me some stomach ache.

4 comments:

  1. The first one definitely is the most illogical! What sense does it make if one is married or single and how clean one's house is??!! Stupid. With the second one, I must say, I'm one of those people that can't be bothered cooking too much for myself...blame it on laziness and getting bored eating the same thing everyday (in case I get a suggestion to freeze the meal...which I generally get)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First one is particularly annoying. It seems it also implies that if you're married it means you care more about how clean your house is.
    The second one well, so what?

    And the third one, doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The third one makes sense in an indirect way. If you are forced to eat all the food, then the next time you will only serve (or cook) the amount you will actually eat, and not end up wasting extra.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @PB: I know. It just drives me crazy. As for cooking, I like to cook. Well I like to eat good food and usually can't be satisfied with the outside food and hence, need to cook for myself. But it drives me nuts when people make such comments.

    @ RenKiss: I hear you. None of them make sense to me either. People simply don't think it through before they say such things, I guess.

    @ Silcador: And what if you don't have a choice with the portion of serving you are getting, which often is a case in a restaurant. Or may be you simply took it before tasting it and it turns out to be, say too hot, for your taste? There can be numerous reason when you find yourself in a situation where you have food in the plate that you might not be able to finish. I don't think its not right to force someone to eat all the food. I agree that one should take as much food as one can eat but if for some reason you don't have a choice, you shouldn't be forced to overeat as well.

    @ dream World: Thanks!

    ReplyDelete