February 9, 2009

Monkey and Shakespeare

I am working on a take home midterm. It's for an introductory probability class. I am taking the class to fulfill my requirements for Ph.D. Anyway, the last question in the midterm asks if there are 10,000 monkeys typing at typewriters, at some speed. We need to calculate the number of years it will take a monkey to finish the entire text of 'Mactbeth'.

I am not sure whether to feel angry or laugh at the question. I am not a fan of Shakespeare but I still revere his writing. Those are piece of art. How can a monkey be equivalent to Shakespeare? I am not sure why would anyone ever think of comparing the two? It's absolutely ridiculous. However I need to find an answer though I do feel like boycotting the question.

P.S.: BTW, I am not supposed to use internet sources to solve the question so please refrain from posting anything that might point me in that direction. I simply felt revolted by this question and hence the post. I don't want to break the honor code.

2 comments:

  1. I for one, would find this question interesting. Do think about it and post the answer when you find it :D

    ReplyDelete