July 14, 2008

Fun Vs. Exercise

Ok, I have had it. Why do people assume that only reason I love Karate is because its a good workout? The outlook of people is so ridiculous. If you play a sport, thats because its a good workout? Whatever happened to the fun part? Remember that was the reason we used to love to play when we were kids and it didn't matter how the weather was as long as we were allowed to play? For some of us, its still the reason to play. Not the workout.

Everytime and I mean EACH AND EVERY TIME, I describe the fun of going for Karate class, the response I get: 'Oh that sounds like fun but I will still stick to my treadmills for my workout.' How can you ever compare a machine to an art like Karate? HOW? And its not that I am trying to recruit them for Karate class or something. I am simply answering their and I quote "THEIR" question: 'How come you are interested in Karate?'

And honestly, I hate working out in gym. I tried but its simply so boring. The reasons like healthy life, lossing weight or looking good don't motivate me. Yeah ok, I would like them but not enough to workout. I just can't workout on the machines in the gym. On the other hand, I always look forward to my Karate classes. I will skip gym at slightest of excuse but I will make excuses to be in Karate class. And its just not Karate, if I have a partner, I would love to play Badminton (Honestly, I have been seriously considering to join the Badi team here but I know in heart of my hearts that I don't have enough stamina for two intense sports. I am not that good an athlete.) or any other sport. I actually ignore injuries, fever and things like that to be there for these things.

Well before I end the post, I confess that I don't enjoy running as much. The only reason I do that is because I have been told in the Karate class that its the best way to build up the calf muscles that I need for improving my stances. But still I don't enjoy it as much. I do know people who actually enjoy running and thats perfectly alright. But I just don't like the idea of exercising just for sake of it. I don't how anyone motivate him- /her-self to do that. With the busy schedule I have, that will be the first thing I will drop: anything thats not fun.

Come on people, life is fun. Enjoy it. Pick up a sport and have fun, don't torture yourself for sake of working out. Learn from the kids.

2 comments:

  1. Richa, as usual lovely snaps -- keep 'em coming! At sequoia, I don't know if you went up the mountain/forest ranges, but the views from up there are even more stunning!

    BTW, karate for fitness and workout?! WTF... karate is just a cool thing to do! Why would someone take it up to remain fit? Although yeah it might be a welcome side effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sudipta! No, Ihaven't been higher in mountains yet. Will try to once I find some time. Thanks for the tip..

    Agreed. But thats how people usually react to it. Guess number of calories burnt is always in their mind...

    ReplyDelete