September 11, 2007

Heights of God

I am back from Vaishnav Devi. My first and last trip to that place. Honestly, why do these Gods have to make their temple so high up in mountain and why can't they have trollies to reach there like they have for Mansa Devi in good old Hardwar? Now you would ask why on Earth did I go to Vaishnav Devi when I am an Agnostic. Well my mom wanted to go to Vaishnav Devi and it did sound like a good photo opportunity so I went. And yes, I kept asking myself the same question all over the hike,"Why am I here?". Who can think about taking the photos when you can't stand and you have to walk up the hills? Camera was just an extra load on my back. Each and every joint in the body has been hurting ever since.

The commercialization of God and the Temple is admirable though. It seems the whole town of Katra (the base of the hike) survives because of that temple. God is used as the selling point. I wonder, is Vaishnav Devi famous as a result of this commercialization or the other way round? In any case, I learned my lesson. No more temples for me. No matter how appealing the surroundings may sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment