November 18, 2007

Vegan

Yesterday I went to Farm Sanctuary in Orland, Ca. They have this event where you feed Pumpkin Pies to the Turkey for Thanksgiving. For the benefit of people unaware of importance Turkeys and Thanksgiving, its sort of a harvest festival in which the traditional dinner consists of Turkey (a bird similar to chicken). So the vegetarian (oh yes, people here are vegetarian by choice and not by upbringing) in the region protest by feeding Turkey the Pumpkin pie. Later on they serve a Vegan lunch. BTW, Vegan means a diet that doesn't consist of animal products.

No, I am not going into the whole vegetarian/vegan debates. I eat non-veg myself and I am invited for a traditional thanksgiving dinner next week so I am very much going to eat a Turkey then. I didn't go there to mock their protest either. I just wanted to see the farm and take few pictures. It was fun interacting with animals too. The point of this post is that Vegan Lunch that I ate. It was awful. I can't describe it in any other terms. I somehow swallowed it. People there (including kids) finished everything they had on their plate (though I guess those kids have never tasted anything better, their parents being vegan). And somehow during the talks they kept mentioning and thanking for some "delicious" vegan food. I swear I didn't get that one.

The trouble with that vegan food was that they were trying to get the texture of meat using vegan materials. They did get the texture but it tasted awful. I don't know why do they have to imitate a traditional meat diet using vegan materials? Why can't they come up with some other recipes, add few spices and make something worth eating (Actually they will be able to turn more people to eat vegan that way)? For example, they had some boiled beans and corns with salt. Just add some grounded black pepper and lime juice. It will taste so much better. Why torture yourself for loving animals? Or may be they just want to torture themselves. Becoming a vegan is just a way of doing that...

2 comments:

  1. you should provide this suggestion to them..i am sure they wont mind, may be there are lot of people who felt the same...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well usually you meet with a hostile stare if you suggest that vegan food doesn't taste very well. Somehow criticizing the taste of vegan food is same as criticizing the vegans themselves. I think its more to do with the way vegans are ridiculed in this society. One of the reason I stay clear of them...

    ReplyDelete