January 17, 2013

Why I don't like 'The Big Bang Theory'?

I am, of course, talking about the series and not the actual event. I am a firm believer of the event itself but I am not so sure about the series. Don’t get me wrong, like almost everyone else, I love the antics of Sheldon Cooper, adore and root for Leonard Hofstadter, and really not sure what to make of Howard Wolowitz or Rajesh Koothrappali. And since it revolves around physics I get quite a bit of references as well.

And yet, I am not too big a fan of the series. My biggest problem with the series being the depiction of “the geeks”. Honestly, Hollywood need to get over with their concept of “geekiness”. As if US is not already struggling with the epidemic of bullying that they have to add to it? The depiction of fairly smart, even genius, people as the social oddity is quite unfair.

Most of my friends are PhDs or engineers or equally well educated. Trust me, if you met any of us, you will not put us down as socially awkward. We are highly successful, confident and happily married (most of us, anyway). None of us dresses or look the way we are depicted by our dearest Hollywood. Most of us don’t even wear glasses (we know about the existence of contacts, thank you very much. I am, of course, referring to all the geeky ladies depicted in the series). Some of us are quite attractive. Most of us have interests beyond sci-fi movies, comic books and science projects. Few of us are good at sports (surprise, surprise), others are good artists. Some of us are more indoor types while others prefer outdoors. We are like any other random group of people you can find except, may be, a bit higher average IQ than the other groups.

So why do Hollywood insist on depicting all of us as socially awkward at all time? I may tolerate them depicting us like that in teenage school drama but depicting grown ups like that is like killing every smart student’s dream that they will ever be socially accepted. They can have successful careers but they will always remain a social outcast. Is this really the message that they want to send to the future brains of their society? Seriously?

All I am asking is to have just one cool, popular and attractive geek? Just one role model to inspire all the smart youngsters out there and not make them feel like losers. Pretty please? (And no, a geek getting a pretty lady is not what I have in mind).

No comments:

Post a Comment