December 18, 2009

Maniacal Houston

Today is my last day in Houston. At least for this year. I have to come back here next year. Anyhoo, as I end my two month period here, let me summarize the city, starting with reasons I don’t like this city:

1. Weather:

I should probably start with the fact that I have lived in California (that too in San Francisco Bay Area!) for past 5 years now and hence am a bit pampered. I know there are a lot of places that have worse weather than Houston but as I am not complaining about them but about Houston, I get to complain about the weather.

The biggest problem with Houston weather is that it’s so unpredictable: One day it will be nice and warm and the next day it will be freezing. And the weather doesn’t normally goes by whether it’s sunny or raining. For example, see the weather chart for the first two weeks of December (yes, Dec. 2009). On 5th Dec, it was sunny but it was freezing and two days later the temperatures went up even though it was raining. We had fog a week later and still it was nice and warm. I mean you can’t just look out the window and predict what will be the temperature outside. And just see the temperature range in these two weeks! It went as high as 24 C and as low as –4 C. A 28 degree temperature change in four days!

image
(img from: http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/77042?month=0)

Summers are usually hot and humid. The worst part of summer: It is called Hurricane season! I rest my case.

2. Safety:

I am not sure about the exact statistics of the crime rate in Houston but I can tell you that it’s not a safe city to walk around. People might be safe in their cars and SUVs but for people like us who don’t have that luxury in this city, it is a very ugly place to live in. I won’t get into details with my personal incidents but just as an exhibit, here is the chart of crime risk index of Houston compared to the rest of US:

image
(Img from: http://www.clrsearch.com/RSS/Real_Estate/TX/Houston/13834641?type=residential)

3. Transport System:

The transport system in Houston basically consists of SUVs and bigger SUVs. Oh there is a bus and train system available in the city but if you love your life, you won’t use it. At least, not after dark.

And talking about cars in Houston: In the two months I was here, I have seen only two Toyota Prius in the city and no Bettles at all. Most of the people living in Houston (at least the ones I have talked to) don’t even know what Prius is? And the moment I mention Hybrid, it’s as if I have uttered a forbidden word! Honestly. Which, actually, takes me to the next complain about Houston.

4. No Recycling:

Houston is one place in US where it is very hard to find any recycle bins. The hotels, office places, malls etc, as a rule won’t have any recycling bins. At home, you would need to make an extra effort to recycle (it wasn't available in the hotel I was staying in). And as I said, no hybrids. Only big, huge cars and trucks. As one of my friend once said: “US is the only country in the world where Honda Civic’s and Toyota Corolla’s are considered as a compact car” . All I can say now: Houston is worse. I wonder if they consider an SUV as a compact car here.

5. Gun/Violence/Hunting:

If you know US, you would know about Southern states: Texas is one of them. If you don’t, well the shortest version I can give you will be this: The American Civil War (1861-1865) was fought when eleven Southern slave states declared their secession from the united states and formed the Confederate States of America. The main reason: they (the southern states) were against the abolition of Slavery.

Now you get the picture. well sort of. It is very conservative and, at times, fairly racist place to live in. The Southern states are basically agriculture based states, which means a lot of ranches, cowboys and such. And along with that comes, the right to protect your family: the reason gun industry is flourishing in US. Almost every household has a gun. The kids are taught how to shoot! The boys above the age of 11 participate in hunting expeditions along with their father: they have to learn how to protect their families.

The worst story I have heard so far: the kids in public school are taught about farms and farm animals, which is okay. So as a part of this in one school, they have to adopt a farm animal and take care of their pet for an year. After the year is over they will show their pets in the animal show, after which those “Pets” will be sent to the slaughter house. I was appalled when I heard this. How can they send their pets to slaughter house? How? I DON’T LIKE HOUSTON.


Some neutral points about Texas that might be considered as good (may be):

1. Everything is Big in Texas

Trust me. They mean it! A friend of mine who was visiting me in California (from UK), was shocked to see the size of popcorn buckets there. According to her, everything is huge in US! I can only imagine her jaw dropping to the floor, had she seen the size of Popcorn bucket in Texas. But that’s not the only thing that’s huge in Texas. You should see the apartments and houses. I have already complained about Big Cars. Everything is super sized. And don’t get me started about how everything is a “drive-in” here: ATM’s, Pharmacy, Grocery: you name it. It’s like living in a cage: from home to car, car to office. You don’t need to get out of the artificial environment (namely AC) ever! Oh wait, this is supposed to be a positive point. Sorry I digressed. Oh well, may be it can be a positive point for some people.

2. Prices/taxes

Everything costs less in Texas. And one of the real positive point about Texas: no state income taxes! Especially coming from California (one of the most expensive state in US), it’s a good relief!


Well that’s all I got! I know you guys are not moving to Texas any time soon. I guess this post was for my benefit: getting rid of the frustration of living in Texas. And I can complain now as I am going back to California today! I don’t need to endure this anymore!

P.S.: Whatever you do, don’t remind me that I have to come back here in few months. Let me enjoy this.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting analysis. Doesn't sound like a nice place to live in apart from the low prices. Would love low prices (Sydney is bloody expensive as well).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ma'am, I was in Austin for two years. The saying went, "If you don't like the weather in Texas, wait for 10 minutes" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ PB: I guess, they have to lower the price otherwise who would want to live there?

    I know what you mean. Any place worth living is so expensive.

    @ Sudipta: Told you, I am pampered Californian!

    Now you are here, you too will forget all about Texas sayings pretty soon :D

    ReplyDelete