December 1, 2009

Tuesday Tag

So I am starting my month with a tag. Well as so happens Dec 1st falls on Tuesday. So I am once again borrowing the tag from PB. So here are the questions of the tag:

1. What was your favorite subject at school?
Believe it or not, my absolute favorite subject as a kid was GK. Yes, General Knowledge. Pity we only got grades for that subject and it was discontinued after 5th grade. I loved the subject as it made it easier for me to understand the news. Oh yes, I used to watch the news every night. So after the subject was discontinued from the school, I got addicted to magazines like Competition Success Review and General Knowledge Today.
Well technically GK is not considered a “subject” so for sake this question I would also like to mention that my second favorite subject was Maths. Most of the people who know me would have expected that to be my answer. Sorry to disappoint you guys…

2. Did you have a favorite teacher? What was it about them that you liked?
Oh yes! I have had my favorite teachers during different period of time. So let me go in  chronological order:

Sujata Ma’am: The first teacher whom I absolutely loved was my 8th grade Maths (what a surprise!) teacher, Sujata Ma’am. She was a terrific teacher. Her teaching technique was unique. She divided the class in 4 groups (according to the columns of seats in the class) and have the groups compete each other. She will usually teach a topic and solve 2-3 problems on board. Then she gives us time (about 5 min) to solve few of the problems on our own. Then she will pick any girl from the group according to the turns. That girl would have to solve the problem on board and explain it to the rest of the class. She will help the girls who will have problems solving it. She wouldn’t give the answer, but prompt them to think about the problem in a logical way. So you see why I absolutely loved her!

Kapoor Ma’am: She was a senior teacher in our school. She was our Social Studies teacher in X grade. It was the first time in my life that I looked forward to history periods. She wouldn’t read from the book like all our previous teacher, instead she told us a story. I still remember almost everything from my X grade history. She became our English teacher in class XI and our class teacher in class XII. She was the only English teacher that I had who knew her grammar. I kid you not. Any of the English teacher I had before her never told me that you never use past tense with ‘did’. I didn’t know about the redundancy of using the phrases as ‘intermediate between’ or ‘revert back’. My English is still not good and  I blame my childhood teachers for that!

Chander Sir: My next favorite teacher is from M.Tech. days. He taught us Oceanography in our second year. Again like all my favorite teachers, he liked to tell us stories. And moreover, unlike all the other teachers I have had before him, he insisted that we understand the subject instead of memorizing it. Even his exams never asked us to recall things from memory but quizzed us on how much we have understood the subject. It was fun to attend his classes and his exams were even better!

3. What do you like most about yourself?
Everything. What? I am perfect. You don’t believe me? Oh well..

Okay. Seriously, I like my self-sufficient, self-reliant attitude. I don’t have to relay on others for my well-being. Not that I don’t treasure my friends but I am not dependent on them and that’s very important to me.

4. Why did you start blogging?
I am not sure. I guess I was bored of talking to myself and hence started putting my thoughts here. This is my third attempt at blogging. I deleted my previous blogs for one reason or the other. This is the longest I have been blogging and hope I will continue to do so.

5. Can you show us your 5 favorite blog posts?
1. Stanfy News Channel..
2. Life Lesson #1: One mistake or three mistakes
3. Please Don’t
4. In name of culture
5. Gandhi and Bose

6. What do you love most about your partner?
Don’t have one yet..

7. Next to your husband/partner/significant other/children, who do you speak to most often?
Myself. Well that’s not actually talking but thinking..


8. What are your 5 favorite books?
It depends on my mood. As per today:

1. My Sister’s Keeper: Jodi Picoult 
2. Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
3. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
4. Wicked by Gregory Maguire
5. His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman

9. Do you have a favorite work of art?
Ansel Adams, The Snake River

                 (Img from: http://kconway01.wordpress.com/2009/04/28/ansel-adams/)

10.If you could live for a year anywhere in the world, where would you choose?
San Francisco Bay Area. That’s where I currently live and absolutely love it.

Again a free for all tag!

3 comments:

  1. I thought I commented on this but apparently not.
    You liked GK?? :) I remember liking it too initially but then got bored. And I kinda suspected you would like maths or science :D I didn't mind maths so much but hated science (esp physcics and chem) with a passion.

    Oh...and I do hope you don't give up blogging! So please stick to it. [Selfish reasons, of course...thinking about myself and how I'll not have this blog to read if you do decide to delete it!]

    ReplyDelete
  2. @PB: Finally your comment appeared. Some trouble with the comments in the morning.

    Yeah that's what every around me think too. I like Maths and Science as well but GK was my favorite. Pity there is not higher studies in the subject, unless you count Journalism..

    Don't worry...I had other reasons for deleting them: mostly personal. I am not doing that to my readers, no matter how small that group is.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @PB: Finally your comment appeared. Some trouble with the comments in the morning.

    Yeah that's what every around me think too. I like Maths and Science as well but GK was my favorite. Pity there is not higher studies in the subject, unless you count Journalism..

    Don't worry...I had other reasons for deleting them: mostly personal. I am not doing that to my readers, no matter how small that group is.. :)

    ReplyDelete