January 29, 2010

February Friday Favorite: Kali Palak Teri

Yeah Yeah I know. It’s not February yet!However, it will be February in 3 days so I decided to start this special edition of this series. Yep, you got it, I am trying to capitalize on the popularity of Valentine’s day. So next month is going to be Romantic songs only month starting with today’s song:

Please don’t mind the stupid video. I think, apart from Tanjua being in the towel (well, she is sexy but Dharmendra’s stupid mannerism completely spoils the video), the video has no value what so ever.

The best thing about the song is the beautiful lyrics given by Majrooh Sultanpuri. The soft and harsh effects of music given by the R.D. Burman to emphasize the lyrics comes only slightly lower than that. For example, the second stanza:

na to main dor se baandhun, na jaal bichhaun, na tir chalaun
naazuk kamar se lagaon, chhuri na kataari saajana. o sajana
main to tera dil lungi tujhise chhupa ke, nazar ko bacha ke
yun hi zara muska ke kahungi anaadi saajana
roz raat ko tere ghar hogi, teri chori, ho chori

It’s my favorite stanza in the song, especially the last line: roz raat ko tere ghar hogi, teri chori. Simply beautiful.

And then, of course, there are Kishore and Lata, the singers. The naughtiness in Kishore’s voice can’t be contained. The only thing that I could find against the song was it’s picturization. But then it also grows on you. I actually like the pink towel Tanuja has.

Anyway, Happy February, everyone. Have fun in the shortest month of the year..

6 comments:

  1. Like you rightly said, picturisation growns on you, to an extent where I doubt any other picturisation would fit the song as well as this one does.

    The song is melody personified. Always a great listen. Simplicity and charm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful idea!! :)
    And this song that you have chosen today is just beautiful. Looking forward to 29
    February Friday Favorites!!
    Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked it Anil. It is one of my favorite songs and as you said it, it's melody personified!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Shilpa but 29 Friday Favorites in February? I wish it was true but dear, unfortunately we won't have 29 Fridays in February..but I truly wish!! Trust me on that...

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!! How did I write 29???!!!! When...
    A. Feb does not has 29 days this time!!
    B. Fridays will never be 29 in numbers in any month of the year!!

    I am shocked!! :D

    BTW, you know, this month is unique...it has 4 Mondays, 4 Tuesdays, 4 Wednesdays, 4 Thursdays 4 Fridays, 4 Saturdays and 4 Sundays and the month starting from a Monday and ending on a Sunday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahha...don't worry about that. We all mess up sometime or the other.

    I didn't know that! It's interesting to know..Thanks for sharing this info. :)

    ReplyDelete