January 30, 2010

Statistics

While upgrading my laptop, I forgot to backup my web bookmarks. Result: I haven’t been able to check my quota of comic strips. So I didn’t discover this gem till today. As usual, it’s from my favorite cartoonist Jorge Cham and his infamous Ph.D. Comics.

phd012010s           CLICK TO ENLARGE (Img Source: http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=1271)

You know, just because they are numbers, it doesn’t necessarily mean they are right. Interpretation of those numbers is equally important. As Jorge Cham puts it: Anyone with basic statistics course would have told them so but then if they only stopped and thought about it, they wouldn’t be journalist, would they?

P.S.: I especially like the last point: What if all polls included the opinion “Don’t Care”?

No comments:

Post a Comment