January 21, 2010

The Decade Tag

Tag-1Shilpa tagged me.  This is my first tag for 2010 so it’s but natural, they are tags about the last decade. The first tag is:

TAG I

10 THINGS I’VE LEARNT/GAINED IN 10 YEARS

-  Hmmm..the first one on this list should be age.  I know, I know, it’s an obvious one but in my case, it transitioned from a careless early 20s to a bit more ‘responsible’ early 30s. With age comes few gray hairs (3, to be precise) and some physical aches and pains that will now remain with me for life. So yeah, those are big things that I gained in past 10 years.

- Career wise, I gained my masters degree and some work experience (2-1/2 years, to be exact).  Gained admission in an ivy league for my PhD and gained some of that ivy league arrogance everyone keeps talking about (as you can tell!).

- Socially, I have become independent. In 2000, I was a master’s student and was still living in my hometown. I had never lived any place outside my home-town till then. And then, I spent living outside my hometown most of the last decade. Initial time wasn’t too good as with the independence comes a lot of work and responsibilities but once you get used to it, you don’t want to loose that independence, ever.

- In my personal life … oh well, that’s personal. All I can say is that I learnt a lot in past 10 years. I think this is the area where I gained and, lost and learned the most. The most important lesson was: Life goes on.

- Culturally, I am a complete different person now. For example, at the starting of this decade, I didn’t know that the word called “Gay”  existed, let alone know it’s meaning. At the beginning of the decade, I used to refer all South Indians as Madrasi (Sorry folks!). After living in Chennai for 2.5 years, I know better. I gained quite a lot of knowledge about South India and it’s traditions along with few good South Indian friends.

I had never met and befriended a “Gora” or a “Kalu” or any other color (I know it’s politically incorrect and very racist. I apologize. I just want to emphasize my ignorance before). Now, I have few very good friends who fall under those categories and I get offended if someone refers them as Gora or Kalu or Chinki. The knowledge, the exposure and the experience gained in this sector is tremendous.

- Religion wise, I started as a pretty religious, God-believing person at the beginning of the decade. This decade has seen me turned into someone whose belief lies somewhere between agnosticism and atheism. The change was gradual and had a lot of influencing factors even though my close friends believe on the contrary. According to them, I changed after reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. While it was yet another influencing factor, however it’s overall effect on my decision was considerably small. That book simply helped me to articulate my thoughts clearly and stand up for my beliefs. You have no idea how hard it is to be an agnostic/atheist in our society! You are tested at every step.  (Just so that we are clear, this change in beliefs happened long before I landed in US, which incidentally was another major event of the last decade.)

- Materialistically, I gained quite a bit in this area as well although I have remained a student for most part of the decade. I have my dearest Canon D-40 (my D-SLR); Shivani-II, my second laptop; Pratham, my first desktop and my car, a $1300 93-Toyota Corolla.

- Athletically, I have become more active. In past few years, I have played badminton, tennis, joined Karate and broken some wooden boards and gained 5 belts. I think despite my aches and pains and my age, I have become fitter than I was 10 years ago.

In short, my life has changed completely in past 10 years. I think this has been the most eventful decade of my life so far. I am glad that I did this tag. Thanks Shilpa! Now, the second tag:

 

TAG II

10 THINGS I NEVER HAD OR USED 10 YEARS BACK, WHICH I CANNOT DO WITHOUT OR USE A LOT TODAY

- First and foremost on this list will be my Shivani-II and Pratham (my laptop and my desktop, respectively). Well, technically, we had a desktop at home but it’s main usage at that time was playing “Prince” and spending nights trying to connect with internet.

- Internet will be my second choice. I know it’s related with computers however, once you are in the internet space, you forget the existence of computer. It’s completely different world and the amount of time I spend there, well, it needs a special mention. again we did have internet back then but the extensiveness of the web wasn’t as huge as it’s now.

- I think cell phones (or mobile) come third. Although I spent major part of my last decade making fun of people who are at all possible moments are aware of their cell phones, for past two years or so, I’ve become quite dependent on mine as well.

- Since we are talking about phones, Vonage has become an integral part of my life for past few years. The number of phone calls I make outside US, wouldn’t have been possible without it!

- My D-SLR comes next. Well, I don’t use it as often as I would like but still it has become an essential part of my being.

- As much as I hate driving, I still can’t live without my car. Though, it has more to do with living in US than my fondness for my car.

- Last but not the least, exercising. I didn’t use to exercise 10 years back and now it has become part of my weekly routine. 

 

That’s all folks! Again a free to all tag. Do take it, it’s fun to relive 10 years of your life again.. *sniff*

3 comments:

  1. Y'know what's funny...despite our 5 year age gap...I could say ditto to most of what you've said! Except the D-SLR (I just would say standard digital cam) and of course, the karate and stuff....

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ PB: I can imagine that. I guess that's part of becoming an NRI, that is, if you are open enough to change.. There are quite a few who don't change at all no matter where they live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ PB: I can imagine that. I guess that's part of becoming an NRI, that is, if you are open enough to change.. There are quite a few who don't change at all no matter where they live.

    ReplyDelete