January 26, 2011

Revised view

I have often said that a good photographer can take good picture with simplest of the cameras. Photography is an art while camera is a tool. It helps to have good tools but again an artist can make a piece of art with limited tools as well. A great example is this project by Mindy in which she uses her iPhone to take the pictures.

I just want to add the vice-versa. With D-SLR becoming affordable and people becoming aware of their existence, they are buying them left, right and center. They take pictures with those D-SLR and upload them on, where else, FB. After going through numerous such albums, I think its time for me to state the obvious vice-versa: Having a good camera doesn't automatically make you a good photographer. Again Photography is an art. Unless you have an eye for the art, you can't take good photographs. Expensive cameras can't teach you the art of photography and composition.

P.S.: Pardon my outburst. I certainly don't mean to discourage budding photographers. I just went through another album where people have tried using the D-SLR to take pictures without thinking about lighting, composition, positioning etc. It was a torture to go through it. Out of the 73 photographs in the album, there was only one that I could honestly say was a bearable photograph. I think it was sheer luck instead of any thinking on the part of the photographer. It just got to my nerves eventually. 

4 comments:

  1. Completely agree that a good camera is not equivalent to good photos. Having said that, it means it does not matter how you create a bad foto. Whether you use a DSLR to create it or a simple point and shoot. As long as the person is not claiming to be a good photographer, it is ok to take bad pics (even if it is by a SLR)..because taking good pics is not everyone's cup of tea (as is any other art). But then, they should not think that a good camera will improve the photography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree completely!! Have seen both types... the amazing as well as terrible works with a big wonderful camera!! And 2 of my friends are simply outstanding with their cameras! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me do a bit of self-searching :) And I concluded that it is not the photography that you are "cribbing against" (if I may use that term!) - it is the act of *choosing* the right photos to put up for display.

    I've been into photography for 5 years now. I used to shoot with a Canon Powershot S3 IS and have recently graduated to a Nikon D3000 DSLR; and I consider myself a decent amateur photographer. Having said that, 90% (or more) of the photos I click have one or the other of the disadvantages that you mentioned. I just choose to delete them or never show them to anyone.

    I also agree with Nepo's comment above that it is not a sin to take bad photos as long as one doesn't claim them to be otherwise.

    Finally, I totally agree that the camera is just a tool - one needs to have an eye to take good photos; and that one can take amazing photos with just about any camera. That link you shared - iPhone photography - is a shining example of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree completely!! Have seen both types... the amazing as well as terrible works with a big wonderful camera!! And 2 of my friends are simply outstanding with their cameras! :)

    ReplyDelete