January 1, 2011

Resolution Time

Its that time of year again: Time to make resolutions and hope to change to a better way of living. And every year, after few days, or few weeks, or few months these resolutions are either broken or completely forgotten. So this year, in an effort to remember and follow my resolution, I have decided to put quantative resolutions instead of qualitative. I mean, I am going to put a number and quantity with each resolution. I hope it will help me follow the resolutions better. So here it goes:

- Drink less soda. Last year saw a drastic increase in my soda intake. I attributed that to anxiety and stress associated with finishing the Phd and then with moving. But its time for me to quit.

I am going to limit my number of sodas to once a week unless there is an all-week long meeting or course. In that case I would need something to keep me awake and motivated.

- Exercise better. Again last year saw a major decline in my exercise routine. Even though I have been exercising for past 2 months or so, I haven’t been doing as much as I used to.

I am going to include some aerobics in my routine: 2-3 times a week for 30 minutes each. Continue with my strength training with 2-3 times a week and no matter what, do stretching 6-7 times a week.

- Eat healthier. Again I have been good about it for past couple of weeks but I still need to improve.

I am going to limit my intake of Maggi to once a week. I will not eat out more than once a week unless, of course, I am in a meeting and I don’t have a choice. I will not skip breakfast on weekends.

- Read more. I do like to read but am no reading buff. Lately, I haven’t been reading much, even though I have now transitioned to job life which means no more work at home..

This year I will read at least 2 books per month. I would need to make a list of book I want to read. This month, I am going to read “The girl with the dragon tattoo” and “Lord of the ring”. I have had both books for a while and have been wanting to read both of them.

- Be more social. I am a social-phobe. Unless I am very close to someone, I usually back out from going to parties, meeting people, and generally being social.

This year I will call up friends more frequently. Saturdays are for friends. I will call at least one of my friend every Saturday and talk to them, and if possible, meet them.

- Call home. I have been very bad about it past year. Again PhD and moving but I can’t use that excuse now.

So am going to call home more frequently: at least twice a week.

- Read scientific journals. I know I should to keep at breast with latest research but guess what, I don’t.

So I will read at least two of the most popular journal, whenever they are published. And actually read the papers and just not the abstracts (this will be the first of the resolution I will break, I know it). I will also start attending monthly Special Interest Group meetings. Its always good to be part of a scientific network.

- Blog regularly.

I promise to post 15 posts every month but I also promise that I will not write a post for sake of writing a post but I will only post when I have something significant to say. So no more NaBloPoMo but I will still post regularly. Also I will log on to my Facebook account associated with the blog more regularly.

- Take more photos. 2010 has been kind of slow year for photography except for the times I visited some places. I need to be more regular about taking pictures and not restrict myself to the times when I visit some place nice.

I will get out and explore Texas. Enough of moping and criticizing. I agree landscape and culture are completely different but that adds another dimension to photography, doesn’t it? So from now on, I will go around every other weekend and explore the area I live in.

 

I guess that’s about it. I don’t know how many of these resolutions I am going to keep, but at least now I do know things I feel guilty about. That’s a good start. Acceptance is the first step towards the change..

5 comments:

  1. Nice resolutions! And you are right in that it's better it's quantitative...you are more likely to do something about it. I was looking back at my resolutions from last year and some of it went well particularly in the first half of the year. But then it went downhill. Good luck with the resolutions! :) I could add some from yours in terms of exercise, eating healthy, and being more social! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 2011! Best wishes with your resolutions :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, to the resolutions.. And a happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @PB: Thanks! I hope I keep them. So far so good but I think my resolutions go downhill when I have to travel. And since I break them then, I kind of become lazy about them when I come back..I am working on it.

    @ Anonymous: Thanks(?)

    @ Titaxy: Thanks and wish you the same..

    @ Nepo: happy new year to you too...

    ReplyDelete