June 26, 2011

10 Day Challenge: Eight Fears

Hmm..I think this is going to turn into things I don’t like instead of actual fear. I am not really afraid of many things in life. I am uncomfortable of quite a few things, so that’s what I am going to enumerate today

1. Claustrophobia

250px-Claustrophobia (1)

The fear of enclosed space. I am not sure but I think I might have always had it but I didn’t know it. However, the half an hour that I spent in an MRI machine brought it out. I had never like the elevators but now I try avoiding them completely. As a result, now I know that I can climb up to 8 floors of a building but that’s pretty much my limit.

2.  Breaking-neck-phobia

ie3_pb_somersaultAs I mentioned earlier, I have a big phobia of breaking neck for as long as I remember. I don’t know what was the source of this phobia but as a result I have never been able to do somersaults or a headstand. If you think you never need to do one as an adult, then I recommend never to join a martial art club. We had to learn to roll which was one of toughest thing I had to learn during Kenpo Karate. I almost cried a few times.

3. Financial dependence

iStock_000006831593XSmallI am completely and totally scared of becoming financially dependent on any one. As a kid I didn’t know what I wanted to be when I grow up except that I will be working and be financially independent. That was a big deal for me then and as it is now. Not that I think being a house-wife or stay-home mom is bad, its simply I can not do it. May be I have some trust issues…

4. Flying Insectsa_bugs_life_5

I wouldn’t say I have a fear of insects but I don’t like insects that can fly, especially if they fly straight to my face. Even if it’s a butterfly or a lady bug. I don’t like insects flying towards my face. Period.

5. Horrifying showscraigslist-crimeNo I am not talking about horror movies and shows. I am talking about shows like Criminal Minds, Law and Order SVU etc. It also includes most of ID (Investigation Discovery) channel shows. The reason these shows scare me is that they are usually based on some real life criminal case. It can actually happen to me or someone I know. That scares me a big deal.

6. PredatorsZoo_0447_2I have a decent amount of respect for all types of predators. Whether they are big cats, or prey birds, I admire them and keep a safe distance from them. They are after all capable of tearing me apart, if they please.

7. SpeedspeedI don’t like fast speeds. I am kind of scared of driving too fast. You will always find me in the right most lane driving either at speed limit or below it. If I will ever get a speeding ticket, it will be for driving too slow.

8. Losing

Yes, like all humans, I am also scared of losing people I love. Again, it’s a given, isn’t it?

That’s all for now. See you tomorrow.

Previous posts on 10 Day Challenge: Nine Loves, Ten Secrets.

3 comments:

  1. I think I'm desensitised when it comes to shows like SVU (even though I enjoy it). However, there is a show here called Crime Investigation Australia and it goes through past crimes that really occurred without too much drama. And that freaks me out because once or twice it's been in places in Sydney that I have been to. Losing loved ones I reckon is a fear we all hold. I think we would have to be a recluse to not have that fear. :S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh we have an entire channel (ID =Investigation Discovery) showing real life cases Most of the time I can identify the Law and order episode or criminal minds episode that are loosely based on these real life cases. So you see I know those are also based on real life cases. The only one that don't link are the cannibal cases they show (they have multitude of them on Criminal Minds). I am hoping we don't have as many cannibals in real life as they show...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stumbled on your blog googling 'Phobia Of Somersaults.'  I'm 49 now and I still can remember how many days and hours were blackened by gym teachers insisting I do them.  "See?  Your neck is fine!"  Uh-huh!  The next time I'd be just as sick and petrified.  It's called a 'phobia,' supposed educators.  Why not take the time to find out what a child LIKES to do physically instead of creating a life long distaste of sports, physical activities, etc due to fright and the titters of their peers?

    ReplyDelete