March 23, 2010

Google again

Did you know about Google’s contest where the winner city gets awarded with their experimental project which will provide around half a million people with fiber-optic internet cables. You know what that means? 1Gigabyte/Sec internet speed!

Okay if someone from the future is reading this post: don’t laugh. It’s a big deal!! I have 16mbps download speed and it’s supposed to be pretty good internet speed. 1 gbps is something unheard of yet.

For those who are still in this time, and don’t get what I am talking about. Well you can try speedtest.net to check your download and upload speeds. Those of you who have a fast internet connection you would have a speed of around 20mbps. Now imagine 1gbps!!

Anyway, I am not the only one super excited about such a project. Seems like a lot of people are going nuts over this project. You don’t believe me?

To start with Topeka, Kansas unofficially changed its name to Google, Kansas. In response to this gesture, a lot of communities across the US has risen up to attract Google’s attention. For example, this skit:

And that’s not it, the mayor of Duluth went and took a dip in Lake superior. Here is the video for that:

And then the mayor of Sarasota went for a swim in shark tank. Who knew swimming in a shark tank was part of the job description for mayor’s office?

They have jingles, they are organizing rallies and what not. Let’s see who finally wins the contest. Though I don’t have the luxury, but I would have loved to live in the town where they have 1 gbps internet speed.

P.S.: While I am talking about computers, have you heard Intel Itanium Processor 9100 series? They enable system configurations of as many as 512 processors and a full petabyte (1024 TB) of RAM. 1PB RAM! Okay, you got me. I am fascinated by technology. Mind you, I am not that big a fan of gadgets but technology gets me. These days I am dreaming of building a CPU from scratch. Configuration, you ask? How about Intel i7920(2.66Hz), 12GB RAM, 2TB hard drive? Sounds cool, right? oh well, someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment