September 8, 2010

An Update

Why is it that when you don’t have access to something, you want to use it only then? I don’t have any internet connection today and today is the day I want to write a post. I guess it has something to do with human nature. Anyone wants to philosophize?

Oh well, the reason I haven’t been posting lately is because I moved approximately 1880 miles, from beautiful, picturesque California to plain, boring Texas. Oh why, yes, I am certainly not very happy about with the move. What gave it away?

Anyway, so today is the day during my entire move that I don’t have internet access. I will get my internet connection tomorrow, that is, if everything goes well and there are no technical difficulties. Yet, today is the day I have been itching to write a post since morning. So I found an insecure internet access and using that to write this update.

How has Texas treated me so far, you ask? Oh well, on the first day in this place, I got a flat tire. On my rental car (if you have rented a car, you would know the hassle it can cause). And then as I was waiting for the roadside assistance to arrive, it started pouring down. With proper thunder and lightening (it was some kind of omen, perhaps?). Poor guy from the road side assistance was completely drenched after he finished replacing the tire.

The second day in this place: I got drenched while looking at different prospective residents. However, I did find an apartment that I like (more or less), hence it was not a complete waste of time and energy.

And today, the third day in this place: I got drenched in sweat while trying to buy basic supplies for my new house. Why, oh why, every super market has to be so big in Texas? I get that everything is big in Texas but seriously there should be a limit on being big. I visited two super market and it took me 6 hours (honestly!) of driving and walking to get handful of cleaning supplies. I could have gotten the same things in under an hour in California. (Yes, I am missing California).

Oh, BTW, I shifted to my new apartment today morning. Its a nice sweet apartment but this is the first time in my life that I have decided to live all by myself. I am not sure how will this pan out. I have always had a room-mate. Although my room-mates are not my best friends in the whole wide world with whom I share intimate secrets but they usually end up being a decent friend whose company I enjoy and cherish. It is weird and kind of lonely without one. Hopefully, with time, I will get used to it.

And hopefully, with time, I will get used to this new place as well and won’t hate it as much. Someday, one day.

And yet again, I rambled, when all I wanted to say: Today is the first day of a new life. New place, new friends (well, technically, I do have some old friends here), new adventures. Life is kind of scary at the moment. Wish me luck!

P.S.: I will reply to all the comments soon. Things are getting kind of settled down now, so hopefully I will be able to become regular on blogosphere again. And then, I do need a ranting place again. So I will be back. 

7 comments:

  1. Best wishes, Richa. I hope you settle in the new place soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering what had happened to you. So you are in Texas huh? I remember you saying the last time you were there about not liking it. And definitely compared to California it must seem like a whole different country! Glad to hear you've found a unit...shame about the ill-omen. How long do you have to stay in Texas? Oh and you have a unit to yourself??!! I'm happy to swap at the moment...my current flatmate isn't bad but I do enjoy having the whole place to myself and living on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://sunshinenjoy.blogspot.com/2010/09/small-is-eventually-beautiful.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! I have heard some good and bad things about Texas... hoping all the good for you after the first 2 days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good luck settling down!!
    I have been to Texas for just 2 hours to meet a friend en route California and i do agree that everything in Texas is huge! including the people!! Im guessing there will be a lot of ranch, fields, cattle photos from you now :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhh Texas. That's a huge leap, I would say Texas is more conservative than California. Though I heard that there are areas that are very diverse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Titaxy: Thanks Titaxy!

    @PB: Honestly, I am not sure if I like living without a room-mate. But may be I will get used to this scenario too..

    I am here for a long time now. I think. Well at least the move is as permanent as it gets, with all my stuff and car and everything getting shipped here. Hope I do move on from here though. Someday, eventually..

    @ Silcador: hahaha..I missed that post for some reason even though I am a regular at sunshine's blog. Thanks for pointing me to it. It was entertaining to see someone talk exactly opposite of what I am experiencing.

    @ Aathira: Oh well, I am still trying to find the good things. I will find something eventually, I guess.

    @ Neha: Thanks. I am hoping to explore the east coast as long as I am here. Hopefully there is more to East coast then ranches, fields and cattles. Though it will take some time..

    @ RenKiss: You put the finger on my uneasiness. The conservative and at times, racist attitude of people around here. I am kinda scared to be here, to be honest. I am hoping I won't run into trouble here.

    ReplyDelete