July 31, 2009

Bing

The new search engine, oops I mean the decision engine by Microsoft has been in market for 2 months now. I haven’t tried it yet. The simplest reason being, my Mozilla Firefox doesn’t have it as an option in the tiny search window at the top. Though I have doubts that I will use it even if I had the option. I am a loyal Google user.

My loyalty to Google is multifold. On the superficial level, Google is a Mountain View company (again I use the phrase: it’s in my backyard.). It provides free wi-fi to the entire Mountain View town. Then the founders of Google are Stanford Alumni. And Google treats it’s employees really well. It’s a dream company even though it’s not from my field.

On the deeper level, lies my abhorrence towards Microsoft. We all know how Microsoft treats us when it’s the major holder of the market: remember the way they forced Windows Vista on us? Google, on the other hand, started as a small company that came up with an amazing search engine and provided it for free and still earned money. Almost all the products from Google are available free of cost: Google Earth, Blogger, Gmail, Google Search engine, Picasa, Google reader, Google Videos (except the premium version of Google Earth, everything else is available free). Even the products like Google Earth and Picasa are free!

But in all fairness, I haven’t tried Bing yet. And Microsoft did have a few policy changes in recent time, like providing Windows Live Writer for free. So may be I should give Bing a try and then reject it. Oh Yes, I am pre-disposed to reject the product. I am heavily biased when it comes to Google. Can’t help it!

2 comments: