August 17, 2007

Hmmm...

Embarrassing things happen and somehow its always me on the receiving end. Why?

Two days ago, I got a mail from our research group about dinner on Thursday evening (last night). As we had our final portfolio submission today morning so I sent back an RSVP of being not sure about attending it. And as I wasn't sure about going, I didn't read the mail properly. I thought that dinner was at 8:00. And as luck will have it, I finished everything by 6:30 in the evening. I came back, got ready and reached the destination at 8:00. In fact, I wore a new dress and was very excited about showing it off at the dinner. I was inside the restaurant at 8:15. Shouldn't at least the host be there? People here are usually at time, especially if its a official group dinner (even if its a casual dinner). So where is everyone? Am I in the wrong restaurant? So I took out my cell phone to call someone from the group and there were three voice messages. Well, I thought, may be someone called up when I was in Dark room. I can hear to that later on. Let me call up first. I am standing at the door of the restaurant. My friend picked up on the first ring and greeted me with, "Where were you?".
Were? Well English is her second language and she does make a lot of mistakes, I thought. So I continued, "Hey, where are you guys? I am at the restaurant."
" The dinner was at 5:30. Where were you? I tried to call you", the answer came.
"5:30? But the mail said 8 :00", I said.
"No, the address was 800 Emerson street. The time was 5:30. I tried to call you too", She said.
OMG. I looked around. People from nearby table were staring at me, half smiling. Great. Why? Why me? After a whole day, hell, whole month of hard work this was my first break. Anyway, at least I had something to blog about. The silver lining.

P.S.: BTW, if you were wondering about those three voice messages, they were for the dinner. Only if I had heard them before calling, I could have walked out of the restaurant quietly and made up an excuse to my friends later on. No one would have known. But alas!

3 comments:

  1. oh che paapa. u shouldve still eaten dinner no or atleast taken food to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, I just felt too embarrassed to stay there though I did pick up dinner on the way back...

    You back online? How is it going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, I just felt too embarrassed to stay there though I did pick up dinner on the way back...

    You back online? How is it going?

    ReplyDelete