February 2, 2009

Grrrrr....

BBC reports:

It's a very legit news article about how UK government is planning to stop rising numbers of dementia in UK. But I just couldn't help myself when I saw this news. Knowing the Health care system in that country (which is the worst I have seen so far. Trust me, India is far better.), I think the unintended meaning of this headline can be true too. Actually any clinic (or surgery, as they call it in London) can well be in demential state.

UK has this system of publicly-funded health system in which they tax the earning members of community to pay for the health reforms. The doctors in this system are government employees. That is to say they are NOT paid directly by the patient (or his insurance company). That means they don't care.

A friend of mine had to get her X-ray done URGENTLY ( the key word being 'Urgent'). They didn't have any appointments for 3 weeks! Can you imagine if someone has a broken bone and he or she has to wait for 3 weeks to get a simple X-ray done? Do you think they will be able to mend the bone correctly, ever? And in order to go private, they have to get a referral from the doctor and a claim number from the insurance company, which the insurance company will mail by ROYAL mail (the postal service in UK). Only then one can go and see a private clinic. And that's not all. In order to talk to the insurance company, one has to dial a PAID phone service which charges some ridiculous rate.

More I hear about this, more I get frustrated. I am so glad I don't live in UK...

No comments:

Post a Comment