February 13, 2011

My Complains

This post has been in making for a long time. But somehow, the format never seemed right. I started this post as a note of things I think are bad parenting techniques but somehow couldn’t make myself criticize others unless I have been in their shoes. All of us can say what’s good or bad from a vantage point but being in that position might be very different. Like this video (which BTW is a disclaimer for this post):

However, having said that, I still have a list of complains for my “parent-friends”:

1. I don’t care what you let your kids do to your phones, cameras, iPods, etc, but please don’t expect me to give my cell phone, camera, iPod etc to your kids because they are crying for it. Don’t give me that accusatory look when I refuse to give my stuff to them. They are your kids, not mine. I am not letting them spoil my expensive gadgets for their amusement.

2. I don’t care how your kids behave with you but I don’t like when your kids hit me with their toys (metallic cars or whatever other toy they have). It hurts. And all this because I refuse to let them have my gadgets? And if you won’t stop them then I will. When I made friends with you, I didn’t sign up for getting hit by your kids. Also, in my world kids are not allowed to hit adults.

3. You might be ready to treat your kids as friends but don’t expect me to treat them as my friends. I view them as spoiled brats they are. And I don’t like spoiled brats. I don’t find them cute or adorable. Its not cute when your kids tell me to get out. I take it as insult and unless they apologize, I am not visiting you again.

4. Being friends with you doesn’t automatically means that I have to take care of your kids too. If you insist on bringing your kid along on a trip, which was supposed to be, say a photographic trip, then I will not run around your kids instead of taking pictures. They are not my responsibility. Why am I supposed to assume their responsibility? If I wanted that responsibility, I would have had my own kids. And no, I am not giving my expensive camera to them to calm them down. What if they throw it down in their rage? Will you replace it?

5. You can keep your house as dirty or as clean as you want but if you are visiting my place, please control your kids. I don’t want to loose my security deposit just because your kids don’t know the meaning of cleanliness. Do you still wonder why haven’t I invited you to my place ever since your kid was born?

Don’t take me wrong. I love kids. I just can’t stand spoiled brats. I don’t understand the recent trend of letting kids do whatever they want. May be someone can explain it to me?

5 comments:

  1. Ahh...the spoilt brats...it's political correctness gone mad. Parents were told they could not hit their kids. But they weren't taught what to do instead. As a result, we have spoilt kids who are allowed to do whatever they want until they start school and realise there are things known as 'rules'. I could go on and on about this...given that I see them when they are supposedly being defiant. Who wouldn't be after being used to getting away with everything???

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I don’t understand the recent trend of letting kids do whatever they want. May be someone can explain it to me?"

    I totally do not get this myself. In fact now that I am expecting, I tell my mom to teach me the tricks to have a well behaved child. I do not want a brat, and I do not like the 'let them be.. since their kids' attitude at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh.... my sentiments exactly!! And infact, I have been wanting to writing on this for long!!
    I believe, these parents need parenting lessons very very badly!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i havent come across spoil brats in my friend circle, but I am sure I will react the same way as you. Gone are the days when parents used to lock you in a room till you understood your mistake!! Good old days, I say :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ PB: I can't stand those spoil brats for an hour, I always wondered how can their parents stand them day after day? I mean that constant crying and tantrums. Its so stressful.

    @ Aathira: Good Luck! Again I am not judging the parents or their skill. Everyone have their own weaknesses and their own problems. I just don't like it when they expect me to compromise.

    @ Shilpa: I know what you mean but since I am not a parent, I can't be judge of what is a good parenting skill and what is not. I can enumerate various things I wouldn't let my kid do (just like the video) but I am sure no one can follow such stringent rules. Guess everyone has a different line of compromise.

    @ Neha: Wow! I would like to have your friend circle! :)

    ReplyDelete