December 5, 2010

Cultural Shock

Its been three months since I left my beloved California, or more precisely the bay area, and moved to Texas and yet, the cultural shock hasn’t worn off yet.

Like the other day, I was in Ikea and walked in a family arguing in one section. As I entered, they left except a man and a teenage girl who were still arguing. My back was towards them and all of sudden I heard a bang. I turned around to see the girl getting herself away from the walI while her arm was still twisted at the back. Before I could recover from shock they were gone. I can not forget the look on that girl’s face.

Then it happened again when I went to a Toyota dealership to get an oil changed for my car. I was sitting in the waiting area with other customers when I heard someone shout “F-A-G”, followed by some laughter. I looked up to see a group of employee (most probably car-salesmen) climbing down from the second floor to our floor, looking smug as if they just cracked the best joke ever. (I felt sick in stomach)

Never in my six years in the bay area have I encountered any thing that was even close. Now it seems like a daily occurrence. Did I mention I hate Texas?

3 comments:

  1. I'm not surprised, I've stories like that. Especially the further you move down to the south.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be the Australian equivalent to what we call 'bogans'. Rednecks. Not surprised at all...after all, isn't George Bush originally from there? That gives an indication of just how conservative and narrow minded they are. How long are you stuck there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @RenKiss: I know but it was still a shock to experience it. I have been preparing myself for months for Texas and yet was completely petrified/shell-shocked when such things really happened around me. Hope it will get better with time.

    @PB: Let me put it this way. I work in oil industry and Houston is the world's oil capital. Now you can imagine how slim are my chances of escaping this place. Thats the problem with oil industry: no mobility. Most of the people who work in oil industry try to reach Houston as this is supposed to be our Mecca. The place where career can really grow.

    Though if it gets too much, I might consider switching to academia and move away from this place. I am trying to adjust at the moment and will give this place at least 4-5 years before I move (well thats the amount of experience I will need if I want to have a career anywhere)...

    ReplyDelete