October 18, 2009

Feminist

For past few days I have been wondering if I have turned into a hard-core feminist. Not that it’s a bad thing in any way. It’s just that I never consider myself as one. And I admit I imagedo get angry whenever I hear about an injustice but I think any sensible human being will and should be outraged by such stories. Nevertheless such stories are catching my  attention more than ever and I have been writing about such issues quite so often. And yet, I still admire chivalry in a man. Actually, I almost expect it from a man. Of course, that’s not true when it comes to Indian men. Not that I haven’t been pleasantly surprised by a few of them occasionally but I simply don’t expect them to be courteous. If only Indian men knew or rather were taught to respect women, we wouldn’t have so  many “feminist” issues in the first place, would we? But then I digress.

The issue here is that whether one can be feminist and still expect men to be chivalrous? Isn’t that breaking the unwritten code of feminism? Or is that rule simply an absurdity that was derived by over-enthusiastic feminist who took feminism to an extreme? What’s wrong with man being courteous to woman?

P.S.: Yet another saved draft from my Window Live Writer. I am not sure if this post should actually see the light of day. I am gripping here: there is no flow in the post. But as I promised to publish all my saved drafts, I am putting it out there…

No comments:

Post a Comment