August 3, 2007

I got my name back!

I failed my behind-the-wheel test again today and I love California DMV (Department of Motor Vehicle: responsible for issuing the driver's license and vehicle registration etc.). A sort of oxymoron, isn't it? But its true. This was my third behind-the-wheel test and so I have to take the written test again in order to keep my temporary license. The lady behind the counter saw my Passport and Visa and the previous temporary license that I had.
She said, "We have to remove your first name. Are you ok with that?".
I went, huh?
So she indicated to my Visa and said, "Your first name here is indicated as 'FNU'. Do you know what it means?"
Me (with a sigh): "Yes. First name unknown."

This is one of the reason I hate being in US. I have one name "Richa". People always had problem with that but I learned to deal with it, even though it is still annoying when people go asking rudely why don't you have a last name? and even more rudely what's your caste?(one of the reason I refrained from adding the surname). Hey my name, my choice, got it? But US was whole new story. Every human being, according to US immigration laws, have to have a second name. Its okay if you don't have a first name though (you think that is funny? Not for people like me who get their names distorted by this stupid law). So when I applied for US visa, they made my name as 'FNU Richa', where FNU stands for, they explained, for First Name Unknown. It was very irritating. I think this is a violation of my personal rights but since I am not a citizen here, I don't have any choice but accept. At least Indian constitution gives me a choice of having the name I choose. And don't ask me why it couldn't have been 'Richa LNU' for last name unknown?

Anyway, coming back to today's story, though you would have guessed what happened. The DMV personnel explained that they HAVE TO change my name to only one name "Richa" and if that's okay with me. Ha! As if I would say no to THAT! Finally I have my name back! I am Richa again!!

Let me explain the importance of the driver's license in US. Oh yes, its a license to drive the vehicle but its not the only use of Driver's license here. Its used as a state photo id (somewhat equivalent to our voter id cards). And as an immigrant here, it will allow me to not to carry my passport when I am traveling within US. This ID is extremely important in US. Its used to verify your credit cards, used when you buy something expensive or sensitive as cell phone or even to get a membership in a video library like Blockbuster. In the nutshell, its very difficult to survive in US without one, unless you are living in place like Bay area with good public transport system and could show a Stanford id, which people here accept as much as the Driver's license (well being in Stanford is good for something at least).

P.S.: Don't worry about the driver's test. I am a good driver, honestly. I just get very nervous when someone is judging me and making notes sitting in the passenger's seat and hence I crossed the tiny red light. (Hey I rode my scooty in Chennai for 2.5 years where stopping at red light meant getting hit by a bus or a car from behind!)

4 comments:

  1. oh poor you! but yay you're you again. and yeah the DL is super important here. im very excited that i get a new one when i move to Texas. new opportunity for a decent ID picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pri! The good news is that I finally passed my Behind-the wheel exams yesterday. So I will be able to keep my name as such. No more bureaucracy now. I guess that was the motivation for doing well this time.

    See you know how it feels to have an awful picture on the DL. Imagine having an awful name there which isn't your name either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in the same boat! But, here in boston DMV denied me a DL.
    At least someone got it right. I feel glad for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the pain o having the single name. Thats one thing I hate about US. In any other western country (have been to UK and Schengan countries), they atleast don't this to you. I ha only one name in both the Visa. And they say US is a free-will country. What free will when I can't even have the name of my choice?

    Hope your DL problem will get solved somehow..

    ReplyDelete