August 23, 2007

Artist's Conundrum

It is something Jason (our Prof for photography class) discussed in the last class and it is something I have been experiencing for past few days too. Its the sense of seeing the present as a past.

You see, more time you spend behind the camera more you get this feeling. Everything around you is being evaluated as a shot. Every scene is visualized with in the frame, even if you don't have the camera with you. How will this look, what will be a better angle to capture this moment..the mind is constantly working. Seeing the present and anticipating how will it look like when seen in the future as a 2D image. Its as if you are seeing the present as a past of the future.

And I think this isn't just photography. I remember when I learned oil painting as a teenager, I would see the colors around me and will think how can I get the exact same shade using my color palette. Adding Chrome Yellow with a tiny bit Scarlet might give me that orangish shade and White with Crimson will give me that pink cloud. Each and every thing around was evaluated in terms of color palette then as if I was visualizing, again, the scenes around me as a painting. The frame was set too, though unconsciously, for this imaginary painting. The present seen on the canvas of future.

And do you ever feel the same with day to day events? Events that are worth blogging, incidents that aren't. Your mind constantly at work, choosing, discarding words, sentences to describe the events on your blog even when its happening. And again the present as seen as past of the future.

Or may be I am just blabbing. But as they say all artists are loony. If thats true, then I have very high potential!

No comments:

Post a Comment