November 13, 2009

Criticisms and Insults

I don’t get it. Why do commentators who disagree with you choose to insult you, instead of defying your logic? And when they do so, why do they need to use the term “gay” as an insult? I mean, I don’t get it. Let’s say I am gay or whatever other insult they want to use, how does that prove my point wrong and theirs right? And then they have audacity to comment again and tell me that I don’t have a backbone as I can’t handle criticism! This is from someone who chose to comment anonymously! Really?

I know I shouldn’t get upset by bonkers like that and that’s the reason we have comment moderation system in place but still they do get your blood boiling. No matter how cool you are, these irrational, irrelevant, foul-mouthed comments do pinch you somewhere and usually spoil your day. It’s easy to preach that these random people are not relevant and they need to be ignored but it’s not easy to do so. 

The difference in opinions I can tolerate. I might tolerate some polite criticism, as long as it is sugar-coated. I might get defensive (all of us do that) if someone raises his or her voice while criticizing me (*Disclaimer: Advisors are not included in ordinary people. ;P ). But if someone starts throwing insults at me instead of criticizing my opinion or my work, it’s gets a bit hard to deal with…

imageI am sure a lot of bloggers must face these issues and hence most of them uses comment moderation. And I know, one is supposed to ignore them and get on with one’s life but I am curious to know how do you deal with the rage and frustration after reading such comments? I went and bought a Snicker bar today along with a coke bottle early in the morning. I have been refraining from either for past few weeks. And I guess, I am still angry hence this post. 

What do you do?

P.S.: For those who know I don’t like chocolates: Snicker bars don’t taste as bad as chocolate. Its main flavor is peanut (which I absolutely love) and not chocolate. So yes, Snickers are my weakness…

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you...I don't get why some people can't come back with a logical argument for something you've said and instead choose to criticise you. I haev had that happen too. Not been referred to as 'gay' but just random insults suggesting I don't know anything but then not backing things up either. It would get me really angry and in the past I would publish those comments and fight back but they don't give up. Now I've just begun to delete those...from the blog and my memory. It's healthier. I guess though, depending on how personal it gets, it might be harder to just delete it from memory.

    On a side note...I don't get the whole thing about 'gay' being used as an insult! Young people use it often nowadays and I just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, i think you should publsih such comments, so that you dont have to do anyhing, as the RATIONAL people who follow your blog weill give a befitting reply.....I think, the usage of the tern GAY is quite a strong term to criticise if you take any religion of the world....I havent read the bible, i am reaing the QURAN and know little bit about HINDUISM and its old age philosophies about relationships and purity when it comes to women. Was really shocked to know about such things in CHRISTIANITY too.....I was really astonished to read this news article on BBC about the policy of the so called developed nation of EU, which bloats itself along with US about establishing Democracy and Human rights in the other parts of the world...read - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8361025.stm

    MY ADVICE WOULD BE, DONT FIGHT THESE ALIE THINGS ALONE, PUBLISH SUCH POSTS AND WE ALL WILL FIGHT TOGEHER..... As such religious fanatics, who cant handle criticism of their religion should ask such questions to their religious preachers, before vehemently attcking the criticisers.....
    I would write a blog separatelely about CRITICISM in the coming week, though.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. @#$* the comments Rich!!!
    And dont give them a thought. Its happened to me a couple of times too- made me feel awful for a few days- then Pradeep showed me this cartoon:

    http://xkcd.com/386/

    It will put things in perspective :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @PB: I know what you mean. There is no point fighting with them as if these people were logical at all, they wouldn't have posted comments like those in the first place. And it's very exhausting to argue with an irrational, stubborn person. There is no point in doing that, is there?

    I agree with the use of 'Gay' term as an insult (I mean I don't get it either not that I condone it).

    @ Gopal: Thanks for the support Gopal! I really appreciate it. :) However, some people don't deserve the attention from us. I think that's what they are seeking when they make such absurd comments, so why should we give them any? They will succeed in their mission, won't they. I guess best thing to do is to completely ignore their existence.

    Don't get me started on religion! They all exists for one reason only: to have power on people by scaring them from unknown.

    @ Rachna: thanks Rachu! the kind words of friends more than make up for those idiots!:)

    It was a funny xkcd. I love them. They are so accurate.. :)

    ReplyDelete