July 7, 2007

Pastafarian

Of all the social networking sites I am member of (and believe me its a lot), I like Facebook the best. It gives a lot of freedom compared to the other sites. But its not as popular as orkut in Indian community, hence I am currently bullying my friends to join the Facebook. I had a very interesting discussion with one such friend about my religious belief I have put on Facebook. Unlike Orkut, you can actually type your belief in Facebook so instead of Agnostic (which I have put on Orkut), I have put Pastafarian. Here are few interesting mails we exchanged about this topic...

Gayathri Chakravarthy (5:47am July 3rd):
Isn't it something to do with a parody religion ! Wow, US did this to you, isn't it !

I too have several questions on the very basis of religion..but am part of no cult yet..not yet ! ;)

Richa (7:52am July 3rd):
Hey I am not a part of a cult...its just a joke. A way of mocking religion. And its not US..I already had doubts before coming here.

I just found Pastafarian funny so added it as my religion instead of saying that I am agnostic which is plain boring...

Gayathri Chakravarthy (8:21am July 3rd):
Wow..this facebook is awesome ! The convenience of a mailbox with the versatility of a forum..opens quite some doors I should say :).. This is technically referred to as Portal building and I have tried it some years ago..but the site designing is sensibly great !

Hmmm, yeah to mention one is agnostic sounds a cliche I suppose and Pastafarian is open mocking as compared to the subtle claims of being agnostic !

Ah, I could go on forever about religion.. ! Have you read Angels & Demons ~ makes worthwhile reading as does Da Vinci Code ! I did know about the numerous ways adopted by the Church to propogate religion but never realized it assumed such hideous propensity.. More prominent examples from our own are the Manusmriti and such like..

Bottomline ~ I believe religion formed the basis of identity among fellowmen, taught discipline to an otherwise Barbaric clan..But, do we still need one as it seems to be dividing rather than Unite ??

Also ~ my question to you ~ Is it religion you doubt or GOD ? Agreeably God is different from what man makes man believe about Him.. what say you ??

Richa (9:03am July 3rd):
Well as far as God is concerned I am agnostic but for religion I am a non-believer.

I don't know whether God exist or not but I know why each and every culture has developed its own concept of God..Its a psychological need. Taking responsibility of all the consequences of your action is really hard, given the uncertainty of those results.You can't think of all the possible outcome of ur action and hence you need someone else to blame or take that responsibility. That someone is God in most cases.

I am a hypocrite when it comes to God. I believe in him when the pressure/stress around me becomes too much for me to bear..I give all the responsibility to him. More like if I am too much worried about something, the only way I can relax is by believing that He exists. But I do so in full knowledge that I am using the concept of God for my advantage...

But I certainly don't believe in Religion..religion is a way by which someone assumes an authority on God and tells other how and where to communicate with God. But as I believe everyone can have his or her concept of God. How can anyone else be an expert about your concept of God and tell you how to communicate with him? It just doesn't make any sense to me, so I despise everyone who tell others how to pray to God or his/her God is better than the other person's God (which honestly I find childish)...

I love Facebook too just the Indian community isn't aware of its existence yet so I don't find many friends here.

Gayathri Chakravarthy (12:11pm July 3rd):
Wooh..multitude of emotions ~ anger, curiosity, acceptance, confession and questioning, I sense it all !

I am agnostic too ! :) Don't think have grown enuf(or ever will) so as to understand Him..in fact at times think we should refrain from discussing Him(or His existence thereof), we are in no qualified to debate him..never..ever !

Ah..spoken like a true science student :o) ! Sorry, couldn't pass up the chance to make this comment ! :p ! See, this is what tears me apart at times..the conflict between the heart and mind.. The teeny weeny bit of intelligence in me asks to follow science which would rationally explain(or attempt to rather) an event but my heart asks I accept the mysteries that surround me unquestioningly and oblige them as miracles.. My family blames me an atheist when I launch an explanation but hope you are able to understand my manner of speech.. I have always felt upset am misunderstood so !

RELIGION ?? I am nothing but skeptic about it with all due respect to the religious fanatics out there.. Religion has not served it's own purpose but also is leading to the downfall of humanity.. What started as a cohesive factor is wreaking havoc all around..and we see the proof in paper every single day. Once again many think am an atheist since I disown my religion - it gives me no pleasure to call myself a Brahmin / Hindu ! :(

Who wrote the holy books / epics and how Holy was he ?? How can I see the world thru anyone else's eyes other than mine ! Agreed you need a code of conduct for a civilized society, coming from where we do - apes ! But who is anyone to dictate my actions ?? I see shades of chauvinism in every one of these doctrines which defeats the very root of their cause - equality. The Manusmriti dictates a shocking code - woman having lost her husband has nothing to look forward to in this world and therefore should even refrain from tasting / touching anything sweet ! How more gross can anything get ??

So let me end with a quote from my friend - Well am agnostic but for religion I am a non-believer :)))

There was an article about facebook in the paper today ! :o) Looks like it's attracting people by the droves..was pleased to read the article and think I knew about facebook already ! ;)

The discussion isn't over yet, just discontinued at the moment due to multitude of reason. Some day we will pick it up again. Meanwhile, if anyone else wants to put their two cents in, you are welcome to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment