July 18, 2012

Cooking for myself and eating alone

Okay, I have a long due beef to settle with married Indian women (well not all of them but you catch my drift): Why is it that the moment a woman gets married she automatically has a superior status in kitchen than us, the unmarried ones? No seriously. Why is that?

It doesn’t matter that they are younger than me. It doesn’t matter that I have been cooking for past decade. Nope, somehow being married gives them an automatic superiority in kitchen so that they don’t hesitate to order me around in my own kitchen! Is there a test that they pass when they get married which make them more qualified than me?

And then of course, if I somehow manage to convey to them my qualification of managing myself in kitchen, there is the pity factor. “You cook for yourself? I am not sure if I can cook for just me if I was alone”. Oh well, good for them then that they didn’t spend years living by themselves. They would have starved to death.

Do they really expect me to stop cooking or better yet, stop eating because I live alone? What kind of logic is that? If not, then why all of them keep declaring it to me that they wouldn’t cook if they were alone. Some of them go as far as declaring that they can’t eat alone. They have to have company to eat.

What kind of sheltered life do these women have? Haven’t they ever travelled alone to a city where they don’t know any one and have to manage things on their own? Do they not eat the entire time they are there?

How can anyone anyone live their entire life without ever being alone for at least few weeks? How can anyone spend their entire life without ever cooking for themselves and eating alone? What a small gamut of life experience do these people have? I guess if I wasn’t so infuriated by them, I will actually pity them.

4 comments:

  1. Even men can be better cooks! Why just single or married women :)

    http://e-pinion.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just bizarre...the whole I-could-never-cook-just-for-myself bit. True, there are times I'm lazy and might just have toast but I do enjoy cooking something nice! And as you said, do these women just starve if they have no one to cook for??? :P 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can totally relate to this post (erm, even though I am married :P). When I was single, people used to be surprised I used to cook, try out recipes and in general could cook a feast just for myself. Now that I am married (and my cooking frequency has reduced considerably, because now there is a second person to do the cooking as well), I get asked "how do I manage my kitchen". And I make it a point to specify that "we" manage "our" kitchen just fine :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chillax, the married women you speak of maybe just want to re-assure their own selves that they have done the right thing by marrying and so they think they could not do anything for/by themselves ;) But thankfully there are plenty of married women who are very different from the ones you mention here. so there is still hope, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete